I'm on FIOS with a Quantum Gateway modem, and can ssh to my Linux box with:
- putty/ssh from other computers on my LAN
- my phone, when connected to my wifi
I can NOT ssh into my Linux box from:
- putty from my Windows box at work
- my phone, when connected to the 4G network.
I redid the test changing the firewall setting from "typical security (medium)" to "minimum security (low)", and I still couldn't ssh to my Linux box from outside my LAN (note I didn't reboot the modem after changing the security setting, but I don't think this is necessary.)
So I'm thinking one of the following is true:
- Verizon blocks port 22.
- I need a port forwarding rule to forward port 22 to my Linux box.
Does Verizon block the ssh port?
Solved! Go to Correct Answer