Email issues and Customer Service, Sales Response
drvid
Enthusiast - Level 1

1.  I currently have Verizon land line phone service and RoadRunner High Speed Internet service, and am considering a switch to Verizon DSL.  A very reliable IT adviser has warned me that advertised Verizon data rates/bandwidth are not reliably delivered and that there is a good chance that Verizon is actively seeking to dump all of their wired facility services.  Given that I can't even get a requested return phone call from any Verizon sales or tech support personnel with substantive answers or assurances of the effecacy of their offered (web) services, I am concerned whether the switch from Time Warner to Verizon is wise.

2.   I also tried connecting (via a friend's Verizon service) to the Gmail server using Thunderbird on my Mac.  I was able to connect with the incoming Gmail server and received new emails while connected.  But I could not send email, as the Verizon service apparently failed to connect to the Gmail smtp outgoing server configured in Thunderbird (and that works on RoadRunner).

I am looking for and would appreciate feedback and/or potential solutions, as Verizon apparently doesn't care to teke the time to assist.  Maybe that is the first and best sign I shouldn't switch ???????  

Re: Email issues and Customer Service, Sales Response
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
About SMTP, Verizon blocks the default port of 25 for SMTP to cut down on spam/zombie computers. Try using an alternate or secure port for SMTP.

Second of all, your IT source is accurate. Some of the word that's been going around the Internet has been mentioning that unless you have FiOS, LTE or perhaps a VDSL solution may be your only hope for speeds. I will take the VDSL if I must settle with that for a little while until someone brings Fiber to me, but LTE, forget that. The DSL network has seen little to no upgrades with the existing infrastructure basically being used to support higher speeds and heavier usage, and unfortunately in some cases this is leading to congestion issues. The only thing to know for sure is to get the service for yourself and to see how it works. Verizon should have a 30 day Guarantee on their plans allowing you to cancel before being sucked into a contract or paying anything. Just remember, do not get rid of Roadrunner until you are sure the DSL works out and will suit your needs. I have no issues with the DSL in terms of speeds, which I get 24/7. I only wish routing was a bit better to local servers and the speeds were higher.
paulValcour
Enthusiast - Level 1

I switched to Verizon about one week ago. Email has and continues to be a problem. It is extremely slow in receiving mail as I have had people contact me over the phone and inquired as to why I had not replied. I did not reply since I had noe received their message. Is there any way to speed up the process. The customer support people have been a mixed bag. Some have been very good and others rude to the point of insulting remarks, also totally adrift on an answer to my problem.

I wish I had not switched from COMCAST as my system was fine and the support people were polite and excellant.

paulValcour
Enthusiast - Level 1

Do not switch. You will regret it!

0 Likes
mjburns2

I keep getting my profile is not available - please try again soon.  This has been happening for a week now.  I need to check my e-mail.

0 Likes