Extremely poor internet service
jenkins911

I'm on Vandenberg Air Force Base Californina, right outside Lompoc (93437) and we have a problem out here.  I've called and called and called about the slow speeds out here with no resolve, maybe i can get someones attention on here.  I have a 3 Mbps connection or so they say, but the only time we see 3 Mbps is at 3AM.  it normally runs between 1 and 2, I know the fine print says between 1 and 3.  Durring peek ours here its dropping to .25 Mbps  thats right verizon i said .25 this is completely unacceptable and a violation of service that you promiss me when i give you my hard earned money every month.  I want this problem corrected immediatly.  I don't know what it's going to take to get my point across.  maybe a class action lawsuit for everyone in the zipcode?  Now i know im only in a forum but i hope they read their own forum, and for thoes of you who say just get another ISP, there isn't another ISP here that's worth a darn, ive looked at them all.  Bottom line is, I want what I'm paying for, not something i can only use in off peek times.  Please Fix the peak time bandwidth issue out here.  I think myself and my fellow Airman that put our lives on the line every day who give you 100% of our best to keep this nation free deserve the same 100% comitment back in return when we pay for a service we should get what is promissed regaurdless of the time of day.

Hopefully this doesn't land on deff ears

Jim

0 Likes
Re: Extremely poor internet service
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Would you happen to know if the base is being fed from a Central Office directly or if it is being fed from a remote? .5Mbps is certainly unacceptable on 3Mbps service, and even though a best effort service doesn't guarantee speeds, you should be getting at least 50% of the service at a semi-consistent rate. Does anyone else on the base have issues with slow speeds, or is it only particular to your line during peak hours? Remotes are more prone to having capacity issues by nature, as compared to a CO but if there is heavy DSL usage in your area or an imbalance in load on circuits, it could certainly be the case for CO congestion as well.

You may need to have Verizon switch your DSL line onto a less congested circuit or edge router, depending on what the problem is. I can direct you to someone who should be able to take care of that for you if you'd be so interested in it and you do not get any help here. If it turns out the remote you're on is congested, then unfortunately there isn't a lot that could be immediately done short of boosting capacity to it.

0 Likes
jenkins911

I couldn't tell you if we are on a direct line or remote.  Everyone on the base that has Verizon DSL is experiencing the same issue with speeds dropping to nothing at peak hours.  What i'm also trying to figure out is, when i first signed up for service i had a 7 Mbps connection and then they changed plans and dropped everyone to 3 without notice and now they cant support a 3?  I'm really confused.

if you could direct me to someone that could help me get this problem corrected it would be appreciated.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In some areas, Verizon has been known to take speeds from a higher speed, say 15Mbps all the way to down to 3Mbps as a form of bandwidth rationing as a result of lack of capacity upgrades on the DSL Network. Granted, if everything worked wonderfully even with everyone on the base having a 7.1Mbps connection, something else may be up, and that might perhaps suggest you were coming out of a CO instead of a remote. Verizon isn't known to sell more than 3Mbps out of the remotes, mostly due to technical reasons with the equipment they put into them.

Anyways, I will send you off a PM right now as to how to contact someone. He may or may not be able to help you, but if he is, he can give you details on what equipment you're going through and where the problem is. If you ask him about the connections on the base all being slow, he might be able to solve that issue if it's a problem with a piece of equipment. Check your inbox. :).

Keep us in the loop as to how things go!

0 Likes