FIOS Network Extender WCB6200Q - not switching to extender SSID
jcutler121
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Quantum Gateway router and 2 FIOS Extenders. The router is connected via coax to the ONT. The extenders are connected with coax on a splitter with the other coax cable going to the cable box. I know there are supposed to work by using the same SSID names as the Quantum router. I have tried that and the devices I am using never switch to the extenders wifi. The device seems to just stay on the routers wifi even though the signal is much lower and I am in the room with the extender. 

I have renamed both SSID's on the extenders so I know if I am connected to the router or extender. That seems to work but sometimes the extender reverts back to the routers SSID name and I lose connection and have to login to the extender and rename the SSID's again. Does anyone else have this issue? Should I turn off WPS?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Network Extender WCB6200Q - not switching to extender SSID
MSMSM

That is by design so devices can seamlessly roam between areas without having to

connect to a new network.  The extender uses the same WiFi network settings as the Quantum router, including the SSID name.  After a few minutes it will pick up the router SSID name. https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-extender/

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Network Extender WCB6200Q - not switching to extender SSID
jcutler121
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand that is by design. Mine is not switching. I have 2 extenders and neither of them switch. If I dont rename the SSID's then I can't connect to the exenders since it stays connected to the router's weak signal.