FIOS speeds dropped to 2Mbps after upgrade
stang5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Verizon 5 days ago, dropped my bundle and got a non-contract FIOS 50/25Mbps plan. Came home, tested @ 58Mbps. Sometime this weekend it seems to have dropped to 2Mbps. I've tested this speed at various speed testing sites today and cannot get over 2Mbps. I have also tested my internal network, which will transfer files @ 100Mbps+, so it isn't the router. Any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS speeds dropped to 2Mbps after upgrade
wraujr1
Contributor - Level 1

Start simple.

Hard wire a laptop/desktop direct to Verizon router (i.e. don't use wireless network)

Run speedtest.verizon.net

Then try other 3rd party test sites if you don't trust Verzion's number.  Compare numbers.

My favorite is when running Verizon's speedtest, don't pick your own state, pick a state far away.. If in NY, select your

state as CA which will run the speed test all the way across the US... Now compare to speed when you pick NY.

Notice the difference.  Once your traffice leaves Verizon's local server, your speed across the US web may vary.

Has this pc/laptop been "optimized" for higher speeds.  There are various registry settings concerning buffering in

the Windows OS that need to be modifed for maximum speed.  Verzion provides an Optimizer at the end of the speed

test.

You say you get 100 Mbps+ file transfer, so I assume you have GigabitE switches/routers in your network and interfaces in all your PCs.  With standard 10/100 ethernet you wont get 100Mbps+ file transfer rate on any day....

View solution in original post

0 Likes
wraujr1
Contributor - Level 1

Start simple.

Hard wire a laptop/desktop direct to Verizon router (i.e. don't use wireless network)

Run speedtest.verizon.net

Then try other 3rd party test sites if you don't trust Verzion's number.  Compare numbers.

My favorite is when running Verizon's speedtest, don't pick your own state, pick a state far away.. If in NY, select your

state as CA which will run the speed test all the way across the US... Now compare to speed when you pick NY.

Notice the difference.  Once your traffice leaves Verizon's local server, your speed across the US web may vary.

Has this pc/laptop been "optimized" for higher speeds.  There are various registry settings concerning buffering in

the Windows OS that need to be modifed for maximum speed.  Verzion provides an Optimizer at the end of the speed

test.

You say you get 100 Mbps+ file transfer, so I assume you have GigabitE switches/routers in your network and interfaces in all your PCs.  With standard 10/100 ethernet you wont get 100Mbps+ file transfer rate on any day....

0 Likes
stang5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am hardwired, this is not a wireless issue.

The Verizon speed test does not seem to work at all, but I have tried multiple different sites with different servers. The speed seems to peg out right at 2Mbps for every test.

I haven't had any issues until this weekend/today. Like I said, I got home the day I switched plans, tested my speed and verified that it was 58Mbps.

I am using a 1Gbps router with both PCs ethernet having 1Gbps connections, and have verified the problem is not with my networking.

0 Likes
wraujr1
Contributor - Level 1

I assume you have power the Verizon router off, waited 30 secs, and powered back up.  I know it sounds lame but it sometimes really may be necessary...

Also is your router supplied by Verizon (i.e. the MI-424WR)???

What is connection from ONT to Verizon Router (coax or cate5e)???

0 Likes
stang5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried the reboot, no luck. I'm thinking about trying to reboot the ONT. The connection is coax.

I have a Buffalo router running dd-wrt firmware, it allows me to transfer files in the network at 1Gbps. My Verizon router is a 9100EM. I wonder if I can get it replaced so I don't have to use a 2nd router? I have been running this setup for awhile, I'm almost positive my Buffalo is not the issue, as it was working 5 days ago.

0 Likes
magnusfl
Enthusiast - Level 3

I added a phone to my tv/25/25 internet package and and they took out about half my channels including QVC which every package gets  and put me at 2/7 a speed they do not even offer so I feel for you as it took me over 40 hours of calls before I cancled that acount and created a new one

0 Likes
stang5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do see that I have a "service request pending", and when I go to "What's Next", it asks me to create an account. I hope I don't have to make a new one!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@stang wrote:

I have tried the reboot, no luck. I'm thinking about trying to reboot the ONT. The connection is coax.

I have a Buffalo router running dd-wrt firmware, it allows me to transfer files in the network at 1Gbps. My Verizon router is a 9100EM. I wonder if I can get it replaced so I don't have to use a 2nd router? I have been running this setup for awhile, I'm almost positive my Buffalo is not the issue, as it was working 5 days ago.

Definitely try rebooting the ONT if you haven't already. Sometimes that's all they need to start working properly when Verizon pushes a new profile out to you. A buddy of mine had to do that when they were upgraded from 25/25 to 150/75, and once when he lost Internet connectivity.

0 Likes
stang5
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has been fixed, there was a QoS setting on my internal router limiting the bandwidth. I don't know why it was set so low for incoming connections. Smiley Embarassed