Fios Netflix Problems
Unplaying

I booted up Netflix tonight to watching a show and while it was buffering on the red screen, a warning message came up saying "The Verizon network is crowded right now, adjusting video for smoother playback."

Has anyone else seen this? I did a quick Google search and haven't found anyone with a similar error message, this is the first I'm seeing of it. I'm watching on a PC with Verizon FIOS in the northeast US.

0 Likes
Re: Fios Netflix Problems
JoeMan1
Enthusiast - Level 2
It is curious that Netflix, which is not associated with Verizon, is giving you a message about a problem with Verizons network...
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Curious, are you connected wirelessly?

You should plug it in hardwired to see if you get the same message, 

0 Likes
Unplaying

same message comes up when wired talked to fios agent he blamed netflix talked to netflix they blame verizon I dunno what's really going on but I get 75/35 fios package and can't watch netflix in HD most of the time

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Welcome to the club.  Problems with FIOS/NetFLix are longstanding and well documented inthis foruem.  THe bottom line is that Verizon wanted Netflix to pay money in order for Verizon to provide sufficient bandwidth for HD movies.  So Verizon limited the bandwidth until  NetFlix agreed to pay money.  THis agreement was reached about a month ago, but it seems like so far the money has noe been aid and therefore Verizon is still limiting bandwidth for NetFlix.  

Keep in mind that Verizon was the main reason the FCC changed the rules on Net Neutrality and now allows companies (like NetFlix)  to pay carriers (like Verizon) for "improved" service.  Also note that Netflix has just raised it's rates fornew subscribers.  Do you see a connection here?

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@bbinnard wrote:

Welcome to the club.  Problems with FIOS/NetFLix are longstanding and well documented inthis foruem.  THe bottom line is that Verizon wanted Netflix to pay money in order for Verizon to provide sufficient bandwidth for HD movies.  So Verizon limited the bandwidth until  NetFlix agreed to pay money.  THis agreement was reached about a month ago, but it seems like so far the money has noe been aid and therefore Verizon is still limiting bandwidth for NetFlix.  

Keep in mind that Verizon was the main reason the FCC changed the rules on Net Neutrality and now allows companies (like NetFlix)  to pay carriers (like Verizon) for "improved" service.  Also note that Netflix has just raised it's rates fornew subscribers.  Do you see a connection here?

Some people see the issue as you described it but others do not.  Some feel it is the other side of the peering interface that is saturated.

0 Likes
unbound1
Enthusiast - Level 1

If the playback was smooth for you in the past, but you've been running into issues off and on for the past month, I've noticed that packet loss has jumped tremendously starting about a month ago (at least for me), and that would definitely have a large impact on the smoothness of video playing (as well as impacting gaming if anyone in your family does that).

Starting about a month ago (again, for me at least), packet losses jumped from a once a month or so event to becoming every day / every other day at rates that are way too high (seeing packet loss above the 2.5% threshold that most people will see noticeable impact, and some days as high as 6.5% which is a big problem).  A good network shouldn't go above 1% packet loss very often.

0 Likes