Fios Quantum Gateway Router - weak Wifi signal strength
btimm

WARNNG to anyone who has not switched yet to Fios Quantum Internet and the new Fios Quantum Gateway Router model #G1100. The Wifi signal strength of this router is much weaker than the previous Actiontec router. If you search the web many customers are expiring weak Wifi signal strength with this router. The technician that came to my house to troubleshoot my issues admitted that the Actiontec router has a stronger Wifi signal but cannot provide the speeds of the Fios Quantum Internet service. My house is about 2200 sq ft and on the same floor as the router there are areas where the Wifi signal drops to one bar or drops all together. My neighbor must have Direct TV Internet service because I can see a WiFi call DIRECT and the signal from that router is stronger than the signal from my own WiFi router in my house. Verizon customer service has offered no solution other than renting or purchasing a Fios Network Extender from them. Considering the facts that I had a stronger Wifi signal with my previous router and that Version advertises one of the main features of the Fios Gateway Quantum as “Boost your range with up to 325 ft.* of Wi-Fi coverage. Perfect for larger homes and more devices” I think it is poor customer service that the only option they can offer to resolve my issue and provide an accectible level of service is to rent or puraches additional hardware from them.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Quantum Gateway Router - weak Wifi signal strength
jonjones1
Legend

@vjj wrote:

Same problem.  The quantum router has less than half the range.  My Ring doorbells don't get signal and I can only use devices in the center part of our 1st floor.  Verizon - you need to provide a solution to this.

The only solution is to purchase a better higher end router. Make sure it has external antennas and is to the higher wifi standards. It is a known fact (google it) these greenwave fios branded G1100 Quantum Gateway Router is junk on wifi.

verizon does not guarantee wifi. Just up to speeds on a fully wired connection.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What channel is your WiFi set for. Could be your neighbors WiFi is interfering with yours.

0 Likes
btimm

The WiFi has been switched to different channels and it did not improve the signal strength.

0 Likes
uacrobi

I noticed this on my router starting this week. I had the G1100 model for the last year and a half. Last week we noticed that we had about half of the wifi signal stregth we used to have. Went through 3 VZ techs worth of troubleshooting before they decided it could be the device itself.

I just hooked up the new device and I have the exact same half signal. Right this very moment I am sitting 20 feet away from the router down a hallway where I can see the lights on it. (I mean I can see it and there is nothing between me and this device.) I am gettting 2 bars of signal, and according to the Acrylic Wi-Fi program, the RSSI is approximatly -83db.  Wifi Analyzer on my phone shows 2 other networks, both on chanel 6, and they have -90db signal . I have tried all the other channels. The 2.4ghz and the 5ghz networks have the same results.

I have not added any new appliances or devices in the last few months, let alone last week.  Was there an update or somethign to the routers firmware wise?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

WiFi analyzer recommends the best channel for a ssid.

have you tried changing your router to use that channel?

0 Likes
uacrobi

Yes, I have tried  all of the channels that aren't already taken by other networks near me. Although I'm not in a townhouse or apartment so those other networks are really weak.  Tomorrow night I was going to literally unplug everything in the house except my verizon equipment and my computer and if it makes any difference. After that the only thing let is the router itself.

Again if this was a new installation I'd be ok with it but it had been working fine for more than a year.

0 Likes
themachinestops
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wanted to add my voice to the weak signal discussion because in my particular situation it's downright nuts!

I was upgraded to Fios Digital Phone and opted for an increase in internet speed from 50/50 to 75/75. My Actiontec MI424WR was replaced with a Fios Quantum Gateway (G1100). The new router is placed identically as the old router.

The Wifi Signal on my iPhone weakens randomly even when I'm still. And it drops completely if I go into my bathroom or kitchen.

Here's the kicker: I live in a small studio apartment in Manhattan, NYC. It's essentially one room and is well under 500 square feet.

Fios Tech support suggested changing router channels. This idea had some merit because I live in a large apartment building with many broadband/WiFi users. But after trying every channel the result was the same. The Tech also suggested getting an "extender". An extender for a studio apartment? A small one at that! I would laugh if it wasn't so ridiculous.

ARG!!

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you had an android phone, you can use an ap called WiFi analyzer. It can tell you signal strength as well as recommend best channel.

Have you tried both 2.4 and 5 GHz channels?

dmwesq
Enthusiast - Level 3

This seems like a relevant thread to jump on with a similar problem. We just had a conversation with VZ Wireless because our data was being used way more than it should while we are sitting in our house and all devices are set to use wi-fi through our Quantum Gateway router. I pay way too much to Verizon for all the services I have between TV, phone, internet and wireless to spend another $100 on an extender. I don't think my house is particularly huge - about 2400 sq feet, but the signal keeps dropping throughout the house. I wanted to search through the forums first before trying to deal with Verizon. Last time they had me split device usage between the 2.4 and 5 channels, but that apparently hasn't helped much. This may end up being the final straw as I have plenty of other Verizon issues and the customer service, at least at the first levels, is horrendous. The only way I seem to get any resolution is through their Executive Customer service.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tennisnut15 wrote:

This seems like a relevant thread to jump on with a similar problem. We just had a conversation with VZ Wireless because our data was being used way more than it should while we are sitting in our house and all devices are set to use wi-fi through our Quantum Gateway router. I pay way too much to Verizon for all the services I have between TV, phone, internet and wireless to spend another $100 on an extender. I don't think my house is particularly huge - about 2400 sq feet, but the signal keeps dropping throughout the house. I wanted to search through the forums first before trying to deal with Verizon. Last time they had me split device usage between the 2.4 and 5 channels, but that apparently hasn't helped much. This may end up being the final straw as I have plenty of other Verizon issues and the customer service, at least at the first levels, is horrendous. The only way I seem to get any resolution is through their Executive Customer service.

The basic thing to remember is that it is not necessarily the router or anything else doing with Verizon 

threatening to leave, well Verizon is famous for calling customer bluffs.

so you take your chances there.

now albeit that episode you only have wifi penetration based on the radios in the devices. A wireless N is not as fast as an "AC" and "G" is even worse.

2400 square feet is pretty big, but that depends on where the router is located, it depends on what type of structure your home is be it brick, wood, composites or even metal. Your home also must not have other electronics that interfere  with the signal.

2.4 Ghz penetrates further than the 5 Ghz which is faster but not broadcasting that far. Again no need to blame Verizon 

additionally based on the devices connecting they may have trouble picking up either band. No one said you have to pay for a Verizon extender, Netgear makes a cheaper one which is "AC" capable. But your devices have to be able to use it.

if you can find a service as fast or stable as Verizon Fios I would say run and get it.

0 Likes