Frequent intermittent DSL outages
zig29
Enthusiast - Level 3

For several days now I have encountered a problem with my DSL where the connection just goes away for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes.  It happens (on average) several times an HOUR.  I've done all the usual tech support steps (and tried to call today but was forcibly disconnected because when they routed me to High Speen Internet support they just said no one was answering -- goodbye!  CLICK) and nothing helps.  

I replicate this both directly connecting a laptop to the Ethernet connection out of the DSL modem (an ancient Westell 6100 with ancient firmware -- not even the Verizon firmware but the old blue and white interface) -- and through the wireless connection, so my wireless router is clearly not the problem.  Either there are known problems at the source (mine comes out of San Angelo, TX I believe), my wiring is iffy or the ancient modem is starting to fail.

It's up right now, here are the transceiver stats:

Transceiver Revision: 4.3.0.1 
Vendor ID Code:        4 
Line Mode:               ADSL2+ Mode 
Data Path:               Fast 
Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)3355695
Margin (dB)20.59.0
Line Attenuation (dB)21.58.5
Transmit Power (dBm)21.812.1

The Up Stream Path speed varies a lot -- anywhere from 300 Kbps to over 800 Kbps, but the downstream is pretty steady at 3355 Kbps.  IN fact, the DSL connection keeps dropping on me while I'm trying to submit this!

0 Likes
Re: Frequent intermittent DSL outages
zig29
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally got to talk to someone on the phone.  They ran some tests and said it was likely caused by "congestion on my DSLAM" and that they'd be moving me to another one within about 24 hours.  We'll see. 

0 Likes
Re: Frequent intermittent DSL outages
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless DSLAM congestion could possibly cause upstream sync issues, I doubt that is the problem. It look more like your upstream has a problem that should be fixed. Might want to try a NID test to see if you can get that margin to at least 10dB and also make sure you can get the sync to 864kbps as well. If you can't achieve that get Verizon out to fix the line.

0 Likes