G3100 - Default Port Forwarding rules questions
Interwebperson
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello.  While checking my G3100's settings, under "Advanced - > Security and Firewall -> Port Forwarding Rules" there were several default rules similar to "TCP Any -> 23", with services like SMTP, SNMP forwarded. I am not currently hosting any of the listed services locally, such as local email servers, etc. There was also a default rule for ICMP (Ping) interestingly enough.

Question, are these rules needed for any default functionality of the router?

Another question, were these rules active, potentially available to do anything, with no specific local destination having been input? As in, were the rules active for all local IPs, none, or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the entries. There is no checkbox for active/disabled for the rules.

I've removed the rules to try and harden the router for now, since I'm not hosting any of the listed services. If you have a G3100, the rules are likely still there. My firmware is 3.1.1.18 currently.

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 - Default Port Forwarding rules questions
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Port Forwarding Rules are not actively applied unless you choose so in the Port Forwarding page. Port Forwarding Rules define the pattern of usually used Port Forwards.

View solution in original post

Re: G3100 - Default Port Forwarding rules questions
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Port Forwarding Rules are not actively applied unless you choose so in the Port Forwarding page. Port Forwarding Rules define the pattern of usually used Port Forwards.