Getting 100-200 Only with 1 Gig Service
anapalm1

I am having problems with my speed, I was supposed to get 1 gig, but getting 100-200 only. They are saying it's my ethernet card. I tried to verify if I have the 1000 on mine but was not able to. I have windows 10 on HP envy. the card is INTEL Dual Band Wireless AC 3160. Can you tell me if this is a 1000 capable card??

ana

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Getting 100-200 Only with 1 Gig Service
jonjones1
Legend

@anapalm wrote:

I am having problems with my speed, I was supposed to get 1 gig, but getting 100-200 only. They are saying it's my ethernet card. I tried to verify if I have the 1000 on mine but was not able to. I have windows 10 on HP envy. the card is INTEL Dual Band Wireless AC 3160. Can you tell me if this is a 1000 capable card??

ana

The card you are using is a device for wireless. When you use the HP Envy there should be a RJ-45 connection in the back of your computer. This is normally what desktops and some laptops use.

i am assuming you do not have a wireless card so you purchased one, correct?

the speed of wireless will be around 300-450 depending on the situation at your home. Type of router, walls, windows, fixed antenna,  location etc. many variables.

you must hook your Ethernet cable directly into your HP envys rj-45 connection and the other end into the LAN port on your router and then go to the Verizon broadband speed test site. If you get those low speeds via direct connection call 1-800-VERIZON select tech support and they will troubleshoot since you may not be provisioned correctly.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How are you only seeing those speeds?

are you running to speedtest.verizon.net?

that is on Verizon's network which is the only thing they guarantee.

0 Likes
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

@anapalm wrote:

ana

The card you listed for your HP is a wireless card, not an ethernet card. 

Are you only connected over a wireless network, or do you have an ethernet cable connecting your HP to your router?  It makes a difference.

Even the fastest new AC wireless cards may only provide a 450Mbps rate which may only provide an acutal throughput of 300Mbps or less due to overhead.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@anapalm wrote:

ana

The card you are using is a device for wireless. When you use the HP Envy there should be a RJ-45 connection in the back of your computer. This is normally what desktops and some laptops use.

i am assuming you do not have a wireless card so you purchased one, correct?

the speed of wireless will be around 300-450 depending on the situation at your home. Type of router, walls, windows, fixed antenna,  location etc. many variables.

you must hook your Ethernet cable directly into your HP envys rj-45 connection and the other end into the LAN port on your router and then go to the Verizon broadband speed test site. If you get those low speeds via direct connection call 1-800-VERIZON select tech support and they will troubleshoot since you may not be provisioned correctly.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes