Gigabit Q
Richcrab
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just requested an upgrade to gigabit service via the website, which I always find convoluted and confusing.  I just got an email that Verizon is sending me the quantum router for delivery this week.  Here's the catch - I already have the same router in use from when I got the 300/300 service.  Am I right in that both would use the same router, or is Verizon actually sending me something I need?  If they use the same router, do I need to unplug and reboot to (hopefully) see the higher speeds?  Thanks for any insight.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gigabit Q
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes it is the same router but I find it best with verizon to follow the order to spec. Connect the new one and send back the old so they don't say you own them money for not sending back the router.

Now as of speed should be done on same day and at least by the next morning. You already have the update equipment if you have 300/300. So nothing the change there. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes it is the same router but I find it best with verizon to follow the order to spec. Connect the new one and send back the old so they don't say you own them money for not sending back the router.

Now as of speed should be done on same day and at least by the next morning. You already have the update equipment if you have 300/300. So nothing the change there. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is it an ActionTec (red ringed) router or the Quantum Gateway? Verizon doesn't support Gigabit on any ActionTec router if so.

0 Likes
Richcrab
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the question.  It is the Quantum Gateway.  The new gateway arrived last night, and I installed it successfully.  It appeared to be the same as the old unit.  Anyway, my speeds this morning have improved nicely to about 700 down and 980 up (using Verizon's speed test).  Obviously I'd like to see that download higher if possible.  The computer I am testing on is connected to the router via a gigabit switch.  I am guessing the first test might be to connect the device directly to the router and take the switch out of the equation?  Any other recs?  Thanks!

@Smith6612 wrote:

Is it an ActionTec (red ringed) router or the Quantum Gateway? Verizon doesn't support Gigabit on any ActionTec router if so.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The gigabit connection works on GPON technology. One fiber splits either 32 or 64 customers. Now the GPON speed is roughly 2.4 gbps so in actuality your never really getting a full gig. Which is why in the fine print it says "up to". Now the more subscribers that are on the pon will differ so some pons will provide better speeds than other but no matter what you'll have plenty of bandwidth. One thing I try to explain to people is that if your watching a 4k stream from say Netflix your are using 25 mbps which is what they recommend. So if you are getting 700 mbps, more than 20 people could be watching a 4k movie. Which is one of the most demanding things people are doing.