Got connected, Got IP, Can search Google, but nothing else
coopunleashed

My mother-in-law just had FiOS installed and all seemed well except the internet does not work.  We have had two techs out, two ONTs installed, and two 9100EM routers installed.  We get an IP assigned, and I can get to google and do all kinds of searchs, check gmail, look at google picasa, but nothing else.  Not a single other website will appear.  What on earth (or cyberspace) could this be?????  They are sending out another tech in the morning but I just don't know what he will be able to do.  Sounds like a port issue or a bad IP block to me.   Also, for the record I have tried 4 different computers, wireless and wired, installed the modem directly to the ONT, and two of the laptops work perfectly on my other FiOS connection. 

So strange...please help!

0 Likes
Re: Got connected, Got IP, Can search Google, but nothing else
Techman28
Master - Level 1

I take it page can not be displayed is the issue???????

Check the Date and Time on the computer....also try resetting to default on IE through Tools Internet options advanced tab. On a side note check the browser address bar when going to ther other sites and see if its trying to redirect you or anything else of that nature

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
It sounds like a firewall setting om your computer. Check your software carefully.
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
maybe this will help:   Repair/Reset Winsock settings (Links)

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm  l.v. 1-20-09

0 Likes
SoCalDon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same symptoms here, coopunleashed, although I also have had e-mail access.  Bizarre, that Google gets through, but nothing else.

And no, it has nothing to do with firewalls or software settings.   We have four different computers connected to this DSL line, one of which is a Mac.  What's more, the problem is intermittent -- sometimes there is full access, and other times there's nothing (except Google and e-mail).  It's been cycling back and forth with that all day long.  That would not be the case if it were a software setting issue.

Over the past 10 years or so,  I've seen similar problems with DSL internet, where a problem "cycles" on and off.  Surely DSL engineers know this, and could/should pass on some helpful information to the techs, including where the likely problem can be found.

And the fact that Google is somehow exempt from this problem should be a big clue to an engineer where the problem is.  Why Google?  Does Google have some special 'channel' in the internet? 

0 Likes