HSI Enhanced - Slow download speeds
alpha88

My download speed has been running slow for at least 1.5 weeks.  My service is HSI enhanced. I was to receive download speeds up to 3.0 Mbps, and  upload speeds of 768Kbps.  When I first received the service my download speeds were 2+Mbps.  Now my download speeds range from 0.45 Mbps to 0.86 Mbps.  The upload speeds have been consistenly ranging from 0.69 to 0.73 Mbps.  The speeds were tested using a Mac, PC (Windows 7), iPad, and an Android device.  I still get the same poor results for download speeds.  While in RI I was able to get upload speeds of 2+Mbps using another network.  Since then I have tried two different Verizon wireless routers supplied by Verizon and still get the same poor results for download speeds.  The technician indicated the speed capability tested ok at the router.  However, I am now at a lost after all these years.  I have always liked the quality of Verizon products.  In spite of the different challenges I have had with services in the past, I am at a point where I have to decide whether to find another supplier as I am unable to perform my daily responsibilities.  My setup is very basic - phone jack to router, router to computer.  There is no filter on the connection between the phone jack and router.  

Has anyone had a similar problem that was resolved?  If so, what was the resolution?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: HSI Enhanced - Slow download speeds
williamsickels1

You wouldnt believe how long ive been dealing with this EXACT same issues. Almost a year now with no results. The thing with my problem is, I get fantastic speed during the early morning hours  4-5 am while i getting ready for work, but when i get home 6-7-8pm I get the .53-.79 speeds. No one seems to be able to do anything about it. Im on chat  now with them....same results. Im sure a tier 2 tech will call me, Ill miss their call and that will be the end of it! (Sorry i ranted, all done now.)

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As the above poster hinted, you might be seeing a slowdown due to congestion. Is your speed any better during the very early hours?

0 Likes
BUMMY56

How do you get someone to correct the constant slow speeds I have been having for the past year. Recently Tech Support stated I could get speeds around 3 mb for downloads.  Since they have told me this I have had speeds averaging around between .30 mb to .10 mb for downloads.  I for one am tired of paying money for somethng that isn't up to what I am told I should be getting.  Who do I have to get ahold of so someone can get this corrected??  

0 Likes
adtwigg

Did you ever get a response to your questions? I'm having the same problem.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To All who want help

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes