High Speed isn't High Speed
anton8970
Info: I have a westell wirespeed. Model number: B9021001504. My speed is suppose to be 7.1 Mbps but I've been doing speed tests (speakeasy.net, speedtest.net) and it says I'm getting about 2.7 Mbps. Does my modem reduce my speed? I've had it for about 4-5 years. If you ask for any more info on it, you wont get it because its been discontinued. I've been trying to get a new modem from verizon. Whats the problem here? Theres nothing wrong with the computer. I've got the computer reformated.
0 Likes
Re: High Speed isn't High Speed
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 What is connected to your modem (In other words, are there are other device between the modem and your computer)

#2 If so, to the last question: What is the brand and model of that other device?

#3 If not to the first question (number one), are you NATTED?

To detect this, do these steps.

a) Check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Server(s) on your computer.

For example if you are on Windows XP, that would mean..

Go to Start -> Run.

Type in cmd and press enter.

In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

b) And compare that IP Address to the IP Address at http://www.whatsmyip.org/

If the IP Addresses are the same, you are not NATTED.

If they are different, you are NATTED.

#4 What software firewall is on your computer?

#5 What anti-virus software is on your computer?

^^
0 Likes
anton8970
Im not natted. Its just connected to my computer. I have AVG antivirus and ccleaner. Firewall is I believe just the windows firewall.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Something does not sound right.

Good thing you have a software firewall. I sure hope that is turned on.

Anytime a machine does not have a software firewall turned on, all of the patches (updates) from Microsoft have not been installed, and it is not behind a router: The computer is often infected in minutes.

#1 Are you in a PPPoE or DHCP area?

This is an example. If you are Windows XP:

Go to Start -> Connect to -> Show all connections.

If that exist. If that does not exist, then go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections.

At that screen, is there any broadband connections listed - that says something about WAN MiniPort (PPPoE)?

For example, here is a screen shot from my computer.

http://i39.tinypic.com/1588i2g.jpg

If there is not something about WAN MiniPort (PPPoE), you are in a DHCP area.

#2 Please post your modem stats.

In your case, I point to..

URL: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7553

All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online DSL FAQ » Connection » What is the Westell Modem Browser and how can I interpret it's results?

^^
0 Likes
anton8970
I downloaded that thing from the last link you sent and it changed my ip. Im sending this from my phone cause i cant change it back. I cant use the internet. i tried to go back in time on the computer but i cant find the option. please help 😞
0 Likes
anton8970
Nvm. I fixed it. What should i do now?
0 Likes
anton8970
When It says put in your ip address, I had to change it to mine and it says its invalid.
0 Likes
anton8970
My network connection is DHCP and it says its Highspeed.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Once installed, don't forget to use ** CTRL-ALT-F7 ** to reveal several "hidden" tabs, the signal levels and error counters, so forth.

^^
0 Likes
anton8970
I couldnt download the program because it couldnt recongize my ip address. It kept saying, Its an invalid address. Even tho im able to use it.
0 Likes