Hotel INterenet sucks I NEED HELP WITH FASTER INTERNET
fortyorfifty

As the title of this thread suggests,  I am staying at a hotel long term with **bleep** internet. I cant stream music movies skype I cant do anything. I have fios 25 mbps service at home.. Im willing to pay money per month for super speedy internet. IM thinking about callin the cable company around here to install cable internet in my hotel room but i dont think that is practical WHat do business users do when it is absolutely imperative for reliable internet service. i would get the verizozn 4g but thats not unlimited. 

What are my options anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance

0 Likes
Re: Hotel INterenet sucks I NEED HELP WITH FASTER INTERNET
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Long-term Hotel stays are tricky little things, as well as other long-term things such as College Dorms. In some places you're very lucky if you can get an outside connection. Most places you're stuck with whatever the location has. Many hotels around here still run T1 lines which get bogged down a rediculous amount at night (try splitting 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps across a potential 200 devices in this mobile age).

You can ask the Hotel if it's possible to get a dedicated line coming into your roomif they have a network jack in yoru room they could wire to your own connection, but other than that, there isn't much they can do besides figuring out a way to improve the hotel connectivity. If your room by any chance has a wired port available, you should give that a shot. The Wireless may simply be bad or beat up but their wired network could be robust. DSL is most likely out of the question as many hotels run their own PBXs, either via IP-Phone or traditional systems such as Meridian/Nortel (these things are fun to manage!). Cable is often a shared medium and trying to get a cable modem running over Hotel is often a disaster since hotels often run their own cable system based on what they receive from a local cable or satellite provider (eg; Video on Demand systems, Room service via TV setups, Hotel-only channels).

0 Likes