How best to allow temporary wireless connections
edspyhill091
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there a way to allow temporary connections to my wireless for visitors?  1) A guest wants to connect to the Internet with a smart phone through my wireless, or connect an iPod to the Internet.  From what I understand right now I would have to put my WPA2 password in the configuration of these devices.

Is there a better, more secure way to do this?  Refer me to howtos, if possible.

Ed T.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: temporary wireless connections - Consider Separate WAP
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@edspyhill09 wrote:

Is there a way to allow temporary connections to my wireless for visitors? ... Is there a better, more secure way to do this?  ...

You can have simplified access, and you can have adequate security.  Having both simultaneously is not  simple..

One possible route is an inexpensive wireless access point (WAP) connected to the network with a separate SSID and separate encryption settings (up to and including no encryption at all).  Older devices like this are available at low prices on eBay, etc.  You could then activate the device when it's required.  BTW I'm not 100% crazy about this route (although I do use a WAP on my system), but it may be cheaperr than replacing your router with a device that provides dual LANs.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: How best to allow temporary wireless connections
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some wireless routers support quest networks with a seperate ssid and security.  But as far as know, none of the verizon supplied ones do.  SInce I am not using the Verizon router I have that option.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@edspyhill09 wrote:

Is there a way to allow temporary connections to my wireless for visitors? ... Is there a better, more secure way to do this?  ...

You can have simplified access, and you can have adequate security.  Having both simultaneously is not  simple..

One possible route is an inexpensive wireless access point (WAP) connected to the network with a separate SSID and separate encryption settings (up to and including no encryption at all).  Older devices like this are available at low prices on eBay, etc.  You could then activate the device when it's required.  BTW I'm not 100% crazy about this route (although I do use a WAP on my system), but it may be cheaperr than replacing your router with a device that provides dual LANs.

0 Likes
edspyhill091
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the advice and info.  I think that may be an option - putting on an additional wireless access point in my home.  Ed T.

0 Likes
Re: How best to allow temporary wireless connections
edspyhill091
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the advice and info.  Ed T.

0 Likes