How do you create/add additional LAN IP blocks to the Westell A90-9100?
Jaytech

I have a Linksys at home and the double NAT is killing me.  I'd prefer to add another IP block to the ethernet interface of the Westell, but it is not as cut and dry as the Linksys router I have.  Is there a way to do this, or am I stuck with the typical port-forwarding configs?  The devices I seem to have minor issues with are the media hub and the UMI telepresence.  They are functional, but some of the features are not working.  If there was only one device setup for NAT while routing IP addresses to the linksys that would work for me.

Westell = 192.168.1.1

Linksys E4200 = WAN: 192.168.1.254 and LAN 192.168.11.1 (NAT Enabled)

I'd like to add a static route from the Westell to the Linksys and remove the NAT on the Linksys, but when I did so, all traffic was blocked at the Westell.  I tried RIP, but that did nothing for me.

I'd prefer not to convert the E4200 into a switch due to the extra features on it like the USB port for an external drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: How do you create/add additional LAN IP blocks to the Westell A90-9100?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

What do you mean by an IP block?

Why don't you just forward a big range/s to the linksys that covers all the external traffic you want to receive on the internal network and then add sub rules for the individual devices at the linksys - you have to already do the last bit anyway.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Jaytech wrote:

I'd prefer not to convert the E4200 into a switch due to the extra features on it like the USB port for an external drive. 

Any suggestions? 

You don't indicate if you have FIOS-TV or if running cat5 to the ONT is an option.

You should review the following FAQ:

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

My suggestion is is to switch to a cat5 WAN connection and make your router primary (option 6 or 7).

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could also specify the linksys at 192.168.1.254 to be a DMZ device so all ports would be forwarded to it.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
I agree with the last suggestion. There's no need to have port forwarding rules in both the westell and linksys . So kill your port forwarding rules you made for.the linksys in the westell , assign the linksys a static ip and then dump it in the dmz. Then let the linksys handle all the port forwarding and additional ip blocks or VLANS