How many MoCA adapters do I need?
jjones5815
Enthusiast - Level 1

Our current setup:

- Verizon modem/router downstairs (G3100, Cat6 WAN, Coax LAN)

- Verizon wifi Extender upstairs (E3200, Coax LAN)

- One desktop computer hardwired into the wifi extender via Cat6 since it doesn't have a wifi card 

- No tv/cable or phone in the house

The current setup honestly works pretty well until I need to download or upload any large files on the desktop computer, at which point it totally tanks. 

I would like to setup a MoCA adapter so that the desktop is actually hardwired in and not running off the wifi extender, so my question is how many and where do I need the MoCA adapters (i.e. between modem and wall jack)? Watching Youtube videos and reading about it makes it seem like I would need an adapter downstairs and upstairs. However, I was reading this morning that the G3100 is MoCA enabled, so does that mean I don't need one downstairs? 

Last question: can I run a splitter upstairs so that we can still have the wifi extender and the desktop computer connectted to the Moca adapter? It looks like some adapters have a passthrough built in for this purpose, so it seems possible. 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How many MoCA adapters do I need?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The current setup is already optimal. E3200 is using MxL 3711 and has a 2.5Gbps interfaced to the 2 gigabit ports and WiFi radio chips. Unless you are buying a MxL 3710 based MoCA adapter with a single 2.5Gbps port (e.g. goCoax MA2500D), the speed will be exactly the same.

View solution in original post

Re: How many MoCA adapters do I need?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The current setup is already optimal. E3200 is using MxL 3711 and has a 2.5Gbps interfaced to the 2 gigabit ports and WiFi radio chips. Unless you are buying a MxL 3710 based MoCA adapter with a single 2.5Gbps port (e.g. goCoax MA2500D), the speed will be exactly the same.