How to get an N wireless USB adapter to transfer data faster that 54 Mbps
chul14

How to get an N wireless USB adapter to transfer data faster that 54 Mbps? I am running FIOS 10/2 and connected to a ActionTec  M1424WR router. Any help will be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: How to get an N wireless USB adapter to transfer data faster that 54 Mbps
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless I am mistaken, using your own Wireless N router

However, there are things to be aware of

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@chul14 wrote:

How to get an N wireless USB adapter to transfer data faster that 54 Mbps? I am running FIOS 10/2 and connected to a ActionTec  M1424WR router. Any help will be appreciated.

You can't with that router.  The atciontec is a 54g router.

If you want to utilize the 300 mb capability of your wireless n adapter you will need to get a wirless n router and attach it to the actiontec.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I have to ask the question, why are you in need of 802.11N speeds?  Are you transferring lots of files between other PC's on your network or are you simply connecting to the Internet.  

Remember if your Internet speed is 10/2 which means 10 meg down and 2 meg up having 300 meg capability WLAN connection will not be noticeable.   Your bottleneck is your Internet connection of 10/2.   

graygmc

I was under the assumption that verizon doesn't offer the 10/2 plan anymore and moved the base fios plan to 15/5.  I would first start off with calling Verizon to upgrade your plan.  I believe it should be the same cost as your current 10/2 plan. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@graygmc wrote:

I was under the assumption that verizon doesn't offer the 10/2 plan anymore and moved the base fios plan to 15/5.  I would first start off with calling Verizon to upgrade your plan.  I believe it should be the same cost as your current 10/2 plan. 

Be careful if you change bundles, it may also change your TV services to something else. If they would do it without a bundle change or recomitment. I would say go for it. But look at what else might change for the added speed. They might just bump you up to 15/5 but I think they would want you to get a new bundle. Like when I went from 15/2 to 20/5 and dropped Premier for Extreme. If you have the Extreme bundle now, the new Extreme is not so Extreme.

0 Likes