Improvements to raise local DSL speed availability
SWINFO

Verizon does not offer FIOS in my area. I have been a Verizon DSL customer for over 12 years, with no improvements in available speed. I would think there are enough DSL customers in this area (Pottsville, PA) for Verizon to make some improvements that will allow them to make more revenue. It seems to me that Verizon could install some repeaters away from the Central Office that would reduce the "Wire Length" that is critical to available speed. Further, those repeaters could be fed by Fibre Optics which could make speeds above 3mb available. Of course I could be all wrong about the speed potential with the repeaters. I know that Verizon no longer offers DSL in an area that has FIOS. At least that was the case in Montgomery County, PA in the early 2000s. With Verizon marketing DSL speeds up to 15mb in some areas, I would like to know how they do it. Perhaps they are running Fibre Optics in those areas but not FIOS.  Nuff Said 

0 Likes
Re: Improvements to raise local DSL speed availability
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I really do wish I could say otherwise, but most likely the chance of an upgrade would be slim. It seems Verizon isn't very much interested in upgrading their DSL infrastructure.

That and the fact that the switch from ADSL (Currently 3 Mbps) to anything higher could require lots of equiptment changes, such as consumer modem's and Verizon's DSLAM boxes, which may not be profitable to them depending how many DSL subscribers are in the area.

I'm no expert in Verizon's DSL (I've never had the opportunity to work wiht it) but I assume its like most other DSL setups, which is what I'm basing my statement off.