Incoming VOIP cuts in and out
afriedma
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an Actiontec GT704WG gateway, which works fine for my 2 wired computers, 1 wireless computer and Netflix streaming. I added a VOIP service, which also works great, as long as nobody is accessing the network from any of the other computers. If someone is streaming a video, downloading a file, or even just browsing a web site, then the incoming VOIP voice signal cuts in and out.

My VOIP provider thougth that it was low Internet speed, but I ran a speed test:

down:  1530 KBps

up: 375 KBps

jitter: 18ms

Ping: 45ms

lost packets: 0%

They suggested that I implement Quality of Service (QoS) settings to prioritize VOIP traffic. Sounds great, but it does not appear that such settings exist on my Actiontec gateway. I even tried updating the firmware to the latest version, but still no QoS settings.

Should I just buy a more modern modem/wireless router that has this capability, or should I try something else?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Incoming VOIP cuts in and out
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
When logged into the ActionTec, is there an "Advanced" section in the firmware that you can find? You should be a Quality of Service option in there if the ActionTec supports it. The Westell modems Verizon's been handing out since the 327w/6100 have supported some form of QoS.
afriedma
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to my advanced settings and there are no QoS options. I tried updating the firmware to the latest version, but still no QoS options. Would it be worth it to buy a new gateway with more advanced options? They seem fairly inexpensive, less than $100 for the newest Actiontec, for example.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
That's unfortunate. Before going to buy a new Gateway, I would run a VoIP test on the line at least on the PC to see how it is.

http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php

Try both a server near to you, and also try one a good distance away. Ideally, you should have 0 Jitter and 0 Packet loss, though a few milliseconds of Jitter is acceptable. Packet loss is not.
afriedma
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just ran a test and got 0 ms jitter and 0% packet loss.

I now have a new gateway (ActiontecGT725WGR) that indeed has QoS settings in it's advanced settings menu. However, the manual presumes that the user knows all about the possible parameters that could be entered, so I'm not sure how best to proceed. Here is what the Downstream QoS settings window appears:

Enable IP QoS (this box is checked)

Total Available Bandwidth: 1729 kbps         High Priority Bandwidth: 1433 (this can be changed)

Priority: High           Protocol: All (this drop-down menu contains All, TCP, UDP, GRE, ICMP)

Source

IP: (box for IP address)

Netmask: (box for Net Mask address)

Port Range:  0 to 63535 (these numbers can be changed)

Destination

IP: (box for IP address)

Netmask: (box for Net Mask address)

Port Range:  0 to 63535 (these numbers can be changed)

Rule List

The manual notes that when Source or Destination parameters are saved, a Rule is created and added to the list.

So, I presume that I enter my VOIP adapter IP address into the Source of Destination section (which one?), but I have no idea what the port range is (ports on the router?).

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Here's my reply to you over at DSLReports:

That would probably be me as I go by the same alias at that site. I have a medieval avatar there as well.

Anyhow, destination IP address would be the IP address on the network of your VoIP box (set it up with a Static IP if you can). Source IP address would be the VoIP server on the provider's end. See if you can get the IP address for that. Port range that needs to be prioritized would be the port range that your VoIP provider uses. Both of the last two pieces of info should be able to be obtained from your VoIP provider. Since VoIP tends to work off of SIP, it's going to be needing UDP Prioritization but TCP would be needed as well so keep the "All" setting set for those ports.
0 Likes
Frustrated65

I am having a similar problem. I "upgraded" to the Actiontec modem and now cannot use my VOIP phone. It will only allow an inbound call to last about 60 seconds then drops it. Outbound calls either connect for only 30 seconds or not at all.

What did you end up doing?

0 Likes