Interior conduit size for Fios fiber to ONT in basement utility room
datro
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Fios install is coming end of this month.  The exterior buried fiber will come to an exterior wall of my garage.  On the other side of inside the garage is the wall to my utility room.  The ONT will be located in the utility room adjacent to my household media distribution point (phone, Gig ethernet, coax for TV).

For cable protection on the inside of the garage, I'm considering installation of PVC conduit from the point where it will come into the garage to the point where it will go through the other wall into the interior utility room.  Would 3/4" PVC be large enough for this run?  I don't know the typical diameter of fiber cable for inside runs so that's why I'm asking.  Of course I plan to keep any 90 degree corners with very large radius and several boxes along the run to make it easy for snaking the cable.

Do Fios techs typically install a exterior-to-interior fiber connection in this type of situation?  How big (diameter) is the exterior fiber cable?  I plan to locate a small structured media panel at the point of entry inside the garage to handle some bridging of interior phone cables (which used to be connected to the telephone NID on the exterior) and I'm just wondering if the tech would want to bring the exterior cable into this box or bypass it altogether.  The answer will help me determine how I would route the conduit mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Interior conduit size for Fios fiber to ONT in basement utility room
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are likely two sections of fiber cable, one from the PON splitter, this fiber is flat and not circular. Width is about 7mm, thickness is probably is 3mm. The other section is from the PON fiber to the ONT. This fiber is circular and probably less than 3mm in diameter. Now, the connectors, however, vary in size and can be as large as 1 x 1''. I am not sure whether the connectors are pre-crimped. You would be better to talk to the field tech that day and let the tech to devise a plan to pull the fiber.

I am only estimating based on my memory. @Edg1 should be able to confirm these.

View solution in original post

Re: Interior conduit size for Fios fiber to ONT in basement utility room
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are likely two sections of fiber cable, one from the PON splitter, this fiber is flat and not circular. Width is about 7mm, thickness is probably is 3mm. The other section is from the PON fiber to the ONT. This fiber is circular and probably less than 3mm in diameter. Now, the connectors, however, vary in size and can be as large as 1 x 1''. I am not sure whether the connectors are pre-crimped. You would be better to talk to the field tech that day and let the tech to devise a plan to pull the fiber.

I am only estimating based on my memory. @Edg1 should be able to confirm these.