- « Previous
- Next »
That IP address ( 184.108.40.206) is outside VZ's network.
There is no way to determine from a series of PINGs where the packets are being dropped.
Run WINMTR and post the results here.
Sorry, I copied from the wrong command prompt. When testing I have one continuous ping going to the external gateway of my router, one to the internal IP/GW (which never fails) and another going to an external domain. I'll try out WinMTR this week.
Odd but fantastic! A day after I posted my last rant my connection stabilized! I still ran WinMTR, I started it before I left for work and stopped when I got home because the drops are so random, the results are below. I pinged one of my (VZ's) DNS servers, when my connection would drop I couldn't get past the first hop after my GW.
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
| Wireless_Broadband_Router.home - 0 | 45721 | 45721 | 0 | 0 | 1437 | 3 |
| L100.BLTMMD-VFTTP-17.verizon-gni.net - 1 | 46275 | 46257 | 4 | 9 | 1620 | 8 |
| G0-8-4-4.BLTMMD-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net - 1 | 46238 | 46209 | 5 | 11 | 1681 | 12 |
| so-6-1-0-0.PHIL-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net - 1 | 46186 | 46147 | 9 | 18 | 1455 | 13 |
|ge-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR2.verizon-gni.net - 1 | 46225 | 46195 | 9 | 13 | 1667 | 12 |
| FWDR-71.FWDR-242.FWDR-0.FWDR-12 - 1 | 46169 | 46131 | 9 | 14 | 1470 | 14 |
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
To those still experiencing intermittent issues:
1. Don’t give up!
2. When you keep calling VZ for the same issue simply ask for an escalation engineer right off the bat. You do not have to sit through the same Tier 1 questions over and over again.
3. Reset your router (hit the button in the back with a paper clip) before calling support and only have one or two PC’s on the network at one time!
4. Do not have any static IP’s on the PC’s you have running. They must get their IP from the router (DHCP).
5. Make no modifications to your router before calling support.
6. Ensure one of the PC’s, the one you’re testing with is physically connected directly to the router.
7. VZ only seemed to take my issue seriously after everything on the premise was replaced a few times over. (Router, ONT, ONT power supply, cables, etc.) Ask for this! Yes it’s a pain but it gives your issue credibility, you need to prove the issue is not on your end. It doesn’t cost you anything as they have weekend hours and VZ seems to love sending techs out to your home. Indulge them.
8. Don’t be a jerk! Screaming at Tier 1 or anyone for that matter will not help you! Would you want to help a jerk? 🙂
I have to cut this short but, Verizon:
1. Why are your network engineers asking the same questions your Tier 1 asks over and over and over? It’s infuriating.
2. Ensure your network engineers update their tickets with anything and everything that has been done.
3. Stop closing tickets if ‘you think’ the issue is resolved, get verification from the client.
4. Focus more on getting the issue fixed and not hiding behind policy and procedure.
The above isn’t directed to all VZ techs of course, I spoke to at least three managers/supervisors giving genuine kudos to Tier 1 and beyond personnel that genuinely wanted to help me resolve my issue, going above and beyond!
Thanks for the replies and thanks to the mystery engineer who fixed whatever the issue was 'after' the PON card was replaced!!
GR8 job Greg thanks for sharing this, I am going to FIOS wednesday and with my luck will need this info. Do the currnet routers for 3 Mbs FIOS have the same issue as my westell 7500 DSL router? IF you hit the reset button the configuration file backup gets zapped ?
(It is hard to believe that you cannot backup that config file to an USB stick from the westell DSL router page)
Does anyone know what model router is the standard for 3 Mbs FIOS ?
I wish I could help but I'm only familiar with the Actiontec MI424WR-GENxx routers and the slowest FIOS speed I've used is 15/5. (MIght have been 5/5, it was a long time ago.) And if you hit the rest button on the back of an Actiontec MI424WR-GENxx router it will clear your configuration. You should be able to save a config to your local drive then copy to USB.
How exactly did you finally get this resolved. I'm having the same issues. I've had 5 techs come to the house and they've replace the router twice, the ONT, redone some coax and replaced a coax splitter. They've told
me twice they were going to replace the PON card in the CO, but recent calls to tech support reveal that the PON card has never really been replaced. Any ideas? I'm just about to give up and go back to Comcast.
You are lucky. I had a similar situation over the summer. After 3 months of tech support h@ll and replacing all the equipment multiple times, it got resolved after I made a forum post. But unfortunately, after that, I found charges for and hour and a half of labor when the tech came to replace our ONT, so people, DON'T ASSUME A TECH VISIT IS FREE. Someone told me yesterday that they charge every time they come out which contradicts what tech support told me when they set up the visit (that we would only be charged if it was determined that our equipment was the cause and that we would be told on site if it was going to cost $).
I am happy for you, but I wanted to post this warning for others reading your story.
I've been experiencing the same problems. Replaced the ONT, router and now worried to get VZ involved again.
I'm trying to release/renew my IP address now.
I can't seem to confirm from this thread what was the resolution. Can somebody state how was it resolved and did Verizon mention a root cause for the issue.
Struggling with the internet drops and making "working from home" not possible.
I'm also experiencing the same issue, and everytime I talk with support, they do the same steps: restart ONT, restart router, they say do a Verizon Speed test (which of course will come back fine, it's basically a direct line to their servers with minimal outside impact) and they say, it looks good, thanks bye. But my downloads are still in the KB/s range, and netflix either doesn't work or is the lowest quality setting (235kbps/3850kbps). This is making me want to switch back to Comcast, who had terrible service as it is!
- « Previous
- Next »