Internet Intermittent connection on all devices with Quantum Gateway
Mikeg3095

I have been having awful intermittent connection for about two weeks. Simple web pages take forever to load, on ALL my devices. YouTube videos won't stay in HD, quality always drops back down to 480, and I know its not my computer because I am using a newer Macbook. I have factory reset my Quantum Gateway, rebooted it numerous times DAILY, and I still have yet to figure out how to fix this. Verizon Support is really lacking, I'm sorry but as a paying customer I find all the virtual assistants and things you have to go through to get a live person is an awful approach. I finally got a decent rep on the phone, and she tweaked some settings in my router. I have run verizons speed test and now I'm getting about 40 down, 28 up. Also, I live in a tiny apartment. Walls are very thin, so I don't think its a range issue. I wish I could just trash this router, and use my own but you need it for TV.

EDIT: I am subscribed to a 50/50 Plan

0 Likes
Re: Internet Intermittent connection on all devices with Quantum Gateway
jonjones1
Legend

@Mikeg3095 wrote:

I have been having awful intermittent connection for about two weeks. Simple web pages take forever to load, on ALL my devices. YouTube videos won't stay in HD, quality always drops back down to 480, and I know its not my computer because I am using a newer Macbook. I have factory reset my Quantum Gateway, rebooted it numerous times DAILY, and I still have yet to figure out how to fix this. Verizon Support is really lacking, I'm sorry but as a paying customer I find all the virtual assistants and things you have to go through to get a live person is an awful approach. I finally got a decent rep on the phone, and she tweaked some settings in my router. I have run verizons speed test and now I'm getting about 40 down, 28 up. Also, I live in a tiny apartment. Walls are very thin, so I don't think its a range issue. I wish I could just trash this router, and use my own but you need it for TV.

EDIT: I am subscribed to a 50/50 Plan

1-800-VERIZON 

have them send a tech out to fix your issue. They can test and find if your router is faulty or a loose connection etc. this way you will be happy with Verizon once again.

0 Likes
Re: Internet Intermittent connection on all devices with Quantum Gateway
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello. Do you have an ethernet adapter or port on any of your devices that you could use to plug into the router via ethernet, and test the speed by going to https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/. This will give you the true speed you are getting.

If the speed is still low on the speedtest while you ARE wired, then something is seriously wrong, and you'll have to call Verizon until they send a tech out (a painful process, but the best resolution you'll get if thats the case). 

If however you do get normal speed when wired, then it is a wifi problem. Often times, even if your right next to your router, in crowded buildings there is a lot of ineterference from surrounding units, which just kills wifi speed. 

If this is the case, please make sure that you are connecting to the SSID of FIOS-XXX-5G, which means 5 GHz. 5 GHz is a newer revision of wifi that runs at much faster speeds with less congestion. (If your device dosen't seen the 5G SSID, then your device does not support 5 GHz unfortunately.) 

I wish I could just trash this router, and use my own but you need it for TV.

Great point, by chance do you use the remote DVR function of FiOS TV? If not, its actually easier than you might think to use your own router, depending on how Verizon initially setup your network. Post back if your interested in doing so, and I'll help you through the process if you wanted. 

Best of luck, hope your internets good to go again soon!