Internet Service drops for days and Useless Customer Service
Jeffr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does anyone know how to get through Verizon's shield of 'customer service' and actually get a problem resolved?  There's no means of direct access that I have found that can get past the technical support gate keepers to anyone with enough authority to think outside the script or actually look at a customers history and recognize something is wrong. 

I have had DSL/High Speed Internet Enhanced service for 4 or 5 months now and have experienced probably 6 or 7 periods where I lose internet connectivity for about 2 to 5 days.  The first couple of times I was nieve and believed it was because I live in the boonies and there had been some (mildly) bad weather, which could have knocked out local service.  But it's been a reoccuring theme and I've discovered that the problem isn't infrastructure in the boonies, but the tie in to the internet at their central offices that is the problem.  And each time I've always had 'dsl' connecitivity, but the 'internet' LED on my modem would be off. 

Each time I call I'm forced to go through the same routines over and over.  Here's a synopsis of how it goes (though the full routine eats up 30 minutes to an hour of time):

* Please turn equipment on/off (never mind I've already done that, connected to the modem's management interface, looked at settings/status long before I even considered calling Verizon)

* conveying the modem's model number (don't they have a record of this anywhere?)

* waiting while they perform a line test

* hearing 'there's no outage in your area, arguing that it isn't my equipment or on my end, hearing 'oh wait.... it turns out there is an outage in your area',

* hearing 'i'll contact the mysterious outage team (that you shall never directly speak to)'  and call you back with a prognosis',

* (optional step) Receive a call back that says 'they're working on it and it will be back online in a few days.

* (optional step) Have it actually working in a couple of days.

Then I'm good to go for another 2 or 3 weeks.

On the previous round of outages I spoke to a 'supervisor', who actually called me back and let me know that he recognized this was a recurring problem and he had traced it to a router that had repeated failed.  He assured me that I would be switched to another router immediately so it would not occur again  (he actually 'promised' this won't be an issue going forward, not that I believed anything a verizon employee said to me at this point).  He also mentioned the router was going to be replaced too.  And he promised to pro-rate my bill to componsate me for all the days I didn't have service.

Fast forward two or three weeks, and he's proven wrong.  Not only did I not get the discount in compensation for no service (not to mention rediculous amounts of time on the phone), the service was also down again.  This time they called the day after I filed my initial repair request and reported it should be working, but to call 1800 verizon if it isn't.  Since I wasn't home waiting on their call, they closed the ticket because of 'no customer response'  Of course it wasn't actually working, so i called and opened another ticket.  Now they claim it will be resolved tomorrow (about 6 days after I first called).

Now I understand equipment fails, lines get cut, etc. and I don't expect 100% uptime.  But a nice, HONEST response explaining the situation and a recognition that a failure once or twice is fine, but 6 or 7 times is a chronic problem and should be escalated in priority would be great.  And please don't placate me by telling me you're 'very sorry for my inconvenience' and that you will 'get it resolved for me'.  I don't buy it at this point.  Verizon has lost all of my trust.  If there were a better alternative, I'd switch in a heart beat.

Re: Internet Service drops for days and Useless Customer Service
Jeffr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to add that a local tech called this afternoon (my wife answered) and he said he'd just received our ticket (as in 10 minutes prior to calling, more than 1 full day after i (re)opened my ticket - 5 days after i opened the original one).  So obviously there is some serious lag between the call center in india and any local support. 

I've put a post on the verizon support twitter feed and I plan to contact the Better Business Bureau if this isn't resolved by the end of the week. 

For the record, I'd be happy to have an option for real customer service as an add on fee.  If I could just pay a couple bucks per month and not deal with this crap - it would be so worth while.  I'm surprised companies haven't thought of this as another money maker since we all are nickle and dimed for everything else.
  It's rediculous that we have to resort to public internet forums like this and twitter to shame companies into providing any meaningful response.  We'll see if this works.

Jeffr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So how do I get my issue escalated like everyone else?  Can any moderators hook me up? Or am I just out of luck?  

Feel free to give me kudos so a moderator might notice this.  Thanks.

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Jeffr wrote:

So how do I get my issue escalated like everyone else?  Can any moderators hook me up? Or am I just out of luck?  

Feel free to give me kudos so a moderator might notice this.  Thanks.

The usual practice in these forums  is to give "kudos" for helpful suggestions or solutions, not complaints.

In any case, you will note that each post in the forum has a "Report Inappropriate Content" button in the lower left.  Just click on that link and type in your message.  In my experience the moderators will reply in one form or another quite quickly.  That's kinda what they do, and they're good at it.  Good luck.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello Jeffr

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases".
There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Jeffr,

Your private case has been closed due to us not hearing back from you for an extended period of time. If you need further assistance, please reach out to us in this thread and we'll be more than happy to reopen your case.

Thank you,

-Art

0 Likes
Theresa100
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Better Business Bureau. Now there's a course of action I hadn't considered before. Good thinking, Jeffr!

Rhill2

Oh my! Reading the postings have helped me to realize I am not alone with continued outages, need to set and horrible customer service.Thank God there is no fee to cancel--I'll look for a company that values my money!

0 Likes
for22get
Enthusiast - Level 1

HI Jeff,

I've created a username that and filled out all the boxes just so I can give you kudos because your post is true and real. The replies from verizon customer service are hilarious. What is going on? thanks for your post, I am experiencing all the same problems. They tell me my service is out for the next 2 weeks, and that is all.

It is extremely frustrating. The customer service is a fortified a impenetrable tower of proliferating security questions, details to be entered etc, and IDs to create. Just to follow up on a service ticket.

0 Likes
for22get
Enthusiast - Level 1

I love this answer. You must monitor your verizon message board at all times or your question will be dropped. How about giving your customers a call on the alternate number they provide?