Internet Speed Waay down.
Jasper
On Saturday morning, I leave my house to take the SAT test. I come home, and I go to download a file, and my speed is only 25/KBs~. I check my setup, it's all fine, just the way it has been, but I do a reset to be sure, both on the computer (sometimes helps) and on the router. Neither had any effect. It's still slow today. The speed is at about 1/8 it's normal. What can I do to put it back to my measly 160KB/s average?
0 Likes
Re: Internet Speed Waay down.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

#3 Do you have more than one computer behind this router?
0 Likes
Jasper
It's a Westell Model 6100. No, my computer is the only one connected to it.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 In your router go to Trouble Shooting -> Transceiver Status.

and post that.

#2 What software firewall is on your computer?

#3 What anti-virus software is on your computer?
0 Likes
Jasper

Transceiver Revision: 4.3.0.1      
Vendor ID Code:        4      
Line Mode:               G.DMT Mode      
Data Path:               Interleaved      
Transceiver Information     Down Stream Path     Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)     288                                      448
Margin (dB)                          6.5                                      20.0
Line Attenuation (dB)         54.5                                      31.5
Transmit Power (dBm)     14.0                                       11.9
No firewall, no anti-virus. Running Linux, so viruses are not compatible.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Here is what that stuff meant..

Line Mode: Type of DSL signal. G is from the g in ITU-T standard G-992.1, the standard that defines it. DMT is discrete multitone.

Data Path: Interleaving is an added layer of error correction. I can be on or off with advantages and disadvantages both ways. It can help with a marginal connection, but a reliable one it's not usually very beneficial.

DSL Speed: The speeds your modem is synced at. This probably corresponds to usable speeds of 256 and 384kbits to account for protocol overhead. Overprovision of lines isn't uncommon. Your speeds are quite slow for a DSL connection and usually they are reversed...down being the higher speed.

-> What type of connection is this through?

Margin: Signal to noise margin. 6 is pretty bad possibly unusable at times, 20 is very good. You normally want 12dB or better IIRC from back in my DSL days. The higher the number, the better to a point.

Line Attenuation: Measure the amount the signal has degraded. Below 20dB is excellent, above 50 is poor, fill in the dots for anything in between.

Transmit Power: The higher the number, the more power is required to transmit. This number will vary based on the other numbers.
0 Likes