Internet connecting at much lower speed lately
ehmyers
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have HSI Enhanced and have had it for 10 months at this location and for a number of years at my previous location. Last October I was connecting at 3360 / 832 kbps. After some months it went down to  around 2800 / 832 kpbs. I wasn't crazy about speeds getting lower as time went on rather than the connection being improved, but it was pretty much free of disconnects and reliable so I was happy with it.

In the past month or so I had noise on my voice line which Verizon fixed, but my connection is now 1792 / 448 Kbps all the time, that is a drop I will not accept if this is the way it is going to be from now on. Also there is a lot of losing the connection, not to the DSL, that light stays on but the internet light goes off. I went through the usual channels online chat, telephone support to wherever that goes. I'm done with all that, that's good for people with trouble using their modem, etc. or can't connect it but not what I am looking for.

Finally they sent out a tech who was a nice enough person, what he did was call a central office and after them first claiming the lower speed was the right speed they put the connection back in the area of 3360/832. Then they said it will probably adjust itself to down around 2800 down, which it what I had before so I was OK with it. After several days with a number of disconnects (they don't last too long but very annoying) I am back to 1792 / 448.

I am using the same modem - Actiontec GT704WGB

I don't need a tech call here in the house again, nothing has changed in here since I moved in months ago. They can check the outside signal without me waiting around for them. They don't have to stand in here to call an office on their tablet.

I need to hear from Verizon personnel that can tell me LOCAL information about why my connection speed has tanked and why there are dropouts now. And most importantly, why it can't be the same as it was for all those months. As I said, I was happy with that - especially when it was 3360 / 832 kbps.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet connecting at much lower speed lately
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're not even within the speed package if you're hitting speeds of 1184kbps/448kbps or lower. That's the range of the speed package below.

Sent you some information to get this dealt with.

View solution in original post

ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your issue. Please visit our Support page for a variety of ways to contact Verizon, including “Ask Verizon,” our virtual chat agent, and customer support phone numbers.

0 Likes
ehmyers
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes well as per I said above I have used other avenues such as the phone number which wasn't helpful, just a bunch of "read off the page" troubleshooting stuff and no real infomation for me.

0 Likes
HDAV1

I have almost the same exact situation.  Same DSL service and same wireless modem.  I mainly used the internet for email, websites, EBAY etc. and was fairly happy with the connection speeds until I hooked up a XBOX 360 with a wireless connection.

It would hardly connect to the Internet so I checked my down/up speeds using Verizon's My Gateway/My Network tool and was shocked to find that I was only getting approx. 800Kbps down / 500 Kbps up.  A Internet tech came out and managed to get me to 3.5 Meg down and 800 Kbps up and things were fine including the online gaming,

Six months later I'm back down to 2752 / 800 Kbps and thinking about calling Service again.  I installed SpeedTest.net on my IPhone to check what I was getting "wirelessly"  wondering exactly what speed my wireless devices were getting including the XBox which is struggling again.

I just ran the test on my IPhone and the results were - 0.54 Mbps Down / 0.68 Mbps Up - that was in the same room as my router.......what the heck?

Does anyone know if the router should put out the same speeds as it is getting in it's connection with Verizon?

0 Likes
ehmyers
Enthusiast - Level 1

The small PC I use for everyday email is hooked up wirelessly and will speedtest similar to the main system wired to the router. The communication over the wireless network is much faster than my connection to the internet, and I'm getting a good signal.

I've read people getting much faster speeds on iphone wifi than you are reporting, so I would assume theoretically its possible for you to connect more in line with your connected speed.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When Verizon turns your speed back up, they have to disable the optimization system they use on the lines to maintain your speed, since it sounds like that is just turning your speed back down after a few days. Make them fix it back again.

For future note, if you do have problems with your DSL and you're also having audio quality issues with your phone, call Voice Repair, and leave DSL support out of the mix. DSL support usually dials back the speed for a line issue from what I've seen as a first try basis. If you do have noise that disappears when the DSL modem is off, then that could be from other things which DSL support OR phone support will be needed for.

Ex: Two years ago I had a problem with my Frontier DSL line having a ton of static on the line. The DSL modem was not synchronizing, however the noise stopped when I shut off the modem. It turns out, the night before lightning struck a tree outside of my home, and caused the DSL modem which was several years old to fry. The modem was still powering up, but the chip responsible for the DSL connection itself was blown. A new modem from Frontier via DSL Support fixed the DSL connection AND the static.

Ex2: At a local business with Verizon DSL, they hear static on their line from time to time, but only while the DSL is active. The problem was not with the DSL itself or any filters, but as the static got worse it began to show up without the DSL being connected. Voice repair was dispatched instead of calling DSL Support, and resolved the problem by running new cable between the building and the Verizon copper trunk. In addition, they found and corrected some corroding splices.

0 Likes
ehmyers
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'll remember that about calling voice support next time - if there even is a next time for Verizon HSI. We'll see how it goes before I make a final decision on them..

I have tried a different modem that I had with the same connected speed results. It was the older model Actiontec and that had even more connection problems. At least the newer one has less disconnects.

0 Likes
ehmyers
Enthusiast - Level 1

@ehmyers wrote:

I need to hear from Verizon personnel that can tell me LOCAL information about why my connection speed has tanked and why there are dropouts now. And most importantly, why it can't be the same as it was for all those months. As I said, I was happy with that - especially when it was 3360 / 832 kbps.

Still waiting to hear about my above question. When I go through the my support page and get to contact us It gives me 2 options. The online chat, which I all ready went though twice, and the phone number - which seems to go out of the country.

Both of these options end up with the same - "Are you running an online game?" "reset your modem", etc. list of questions, thats the way it worked out for me and as I said that doesn't answer my question. Also everytime I seem to start from square 1. It would be nice to have somewhere to email where I can write everything down and someone can see the steps that got me to this point.

I see verizon support assisting others in the forum so thats why I posted here in the first place.

0 Likes
ehmyers
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK I have finally gotten them to admit they can only provide me with the lower speed now. This is interesting since I had the higher one without errors for 10 months. So thanks again to the members who responded here.

This thread can be closed deleted as well as my forum account.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ehmyers wrote:

OK I have finally gotten them to admit they can only provide me with the lower speed now. This is interesting since I had the higher one without errors for 10 months. So thanks again to the members who responded here.

This thread can be closed deleted as well as my forum account.

I do have access to some folks within Verizon who can turn your line speed back up if the line is in good shape. If you can get the Transceiver Statistics to me from your modem, I can tell you what your max speed can be as an estimate, and what can be done to improve the line further.

0 Likes