Internet lock
bfgcb
Enthusiast - Level 3

I used to have a physical device with a button on top that would cut off all internet access. Given the increased threat against computer security, I'm looking for another such device. I can't remember the vendor, and haven't had any luck in online searches yet. To reiterate, I'm looking for a PHYSICAL device, not software that can be subverted. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet lock
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pjsutton wrote:

How about just turning off the modem when you're not using it?  Or, just unplug the phone cord from the back of the modem?  I've never heard of what you're talking about before.

Before turning off the modem overnight or pulling the phone cord, make sure Verizon is asked to disable ASSIA optimization from the line. If the modem is not synced for a while, this may cause Verizon's optimizer to think the line is having trouble and decrease the line speed.

The DSL service is intended to be always connected, and the optimizer assumes that..

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

How about just turning off the modem when you're not using it?  Or, just unplug the phone cord from the back of the modem?  I've never heard of what you're talking about before.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pjsutton wrote:

Before turning off the modem overnight or pulling the phone cord, make sure Verizon is asked to disable ASSIA optimization from the line. If the modem is not synced for a while, this may cause Verizon's optimizer to think the line is having trouble and decrease the line speed.

The DSL service is intended to be always connected, and the optimizer assumes that..

0 Likes