Killer 2100 network gaming card kicking while playing Bad Company 2
davyoneshoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok first of ill start its not the card had Comcast cable before i moved to a Fios area and had zero problem.

I need to find out how to get the router to accept the card and whats with the limted games on the routers settings (it has solider of fortune there the games 10 years old)

Why cant the router have Bad Company 2 games added?

Running Windows 7 64

480 Gtx Gpu

975 i7 Cpu

WD raptor 300gb

Asus extreme mb (both lan work flawless with router)

Re: Killer 2100 network gaming card kicking while playing Bad Company 2
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@davyoneshoe wrote:

I need to find out how to get the router to accept the card    

What does that mean? 

What card?  Are you talking about a NIC in your computer?

The router does not accept any plug in cards.

You can add games to the list of applications if you know the port forwards required.

• Go to the Advanced screen
  • Select Port Forwarding Rules
  • Click ADD (at the bottom of the list)
  • Enter a name for the application
  • Click add Server ports
  • Select the protocol (TCP, etc)
  • Enter the source and destination ports
  • APPLY.
  • Repeat if you need additional ports.
  • APPLY on the Edit Service Screen.
  • You should now see your application in the list of Port Forwarding rules.
  • Go to the port forwarding screen.  You should now see your game in the list.
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The router doesnt have the game listed because Bad Company 2 does not need any special ports open to work properly. The games on that list are all games that need special port forwarding rules in order to work properly. Most of the Battlefield series do not need any special port forwarding. Therefore no need to have it listed. I play BC2 myself (actually I play most of the BF series). Dont have any issues with any of them on the default settings of the router. You may have other issues but opening ports should not be one of them.

davyoneshoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Killer™ 2100 is the only gigabit network card designed from the ground up for online games. 

Simply install Killer™ 2100 into your PC, plug your network cable into it and you are ready to go.  Now, Killer™ 2100 will detect game traffic as it enters your PC, prioritize it over all other network traffic, and get it to and from your game faster than any other network card.

Killer™ 2100 delivers game traffic up to ten times faster than any other network card.  Fast game traffic means faster kills, extra loot and more wins in all your online games.

Thats the card im talking about.

Having a very high end pc i wanted the best of the best and when this card gets a chance to work it does help in game.

Just cant get to stay online long enough to have a game, sometimes i get a full game  other times i cant even log in to ea servers .

I have on onboard lan and have zero problems with them.

The gaming card is great but there cus service is terrible and if they cant help your problem they just stop replying to your emails.

Others on the Killer forums with Vios have had same problems with no luck (but we are a limted buch with this setup and answers are hard to come by).

Im extremely happy with my Vios internet but this tiny little flaw stops it getting g 10 out of 10.

There must be a work around as im now stuck with a $120 doorstop.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

A few thoughts come to mind.

1. A bad cable.
  2. The NIC and the router port drop sync momentarily.

If the problem is #2, you would see the link light go out.  It might only go out very briefly, but that would be enough to drop your connections.  If you have a switch or spare router (used as a switch), try connecting that between the Actiontec and your NIC.  Your NIC might play nice if connected to a switch instead of the Actiontec.

p.s.

"Killer™ 2100 will detect game traffic as it enters your PC, prioritize it over all other network traffic, and get it to and from your game faster than any other network card"

Frankly, I think that is pure marketing **bleep**.  If you're gaming, what other traffic do you have going in or out of your computer at the same time?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
I don't get the point about "Gaming" NICs. If the Integrated Intel NIC in my Gaming PC is capable of maxing a Gigabit link and still be capable of running games with no change in network performance and very little change in CPU usage, it honestly says something. Everything still has to go through the CPU eventually, so regardless of the 1ms difference, it's marketing. Otherwise, see if a Driver update might solve the problem. It's possible there might be a small incompatibility with the ActionTec's switch as well, despite the problems mentioned above.
davyoneshoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you look at my top post i was with Comcast before i moved into a Fios area the Killer 2100 card worked flawless.

The card does work better than on board cards not enough to spend $120 on it but ive got 975 i7 water cooled running at 4.5 from 3.66 and a 480gtx watercooled at 880 from 700 so adding a card at $120 with the pc as high end as i have not realy a big deal.

Theres something blocking the card be nice if the router was updated to add the card

New Killer drivers just came out last week never fixed the problem im stuck unless someone else has same problem and works out a work around as im out of ideas.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Still trying to think what might be up. The issue only occurs when you play Bad Company 2, correct? Nothing else disconnects or stalls out when Bad Company 2 is having issues?

The logs in your Verizon router might also help to clue in as to what is going on. You can visit http://192.168.1.1/ and visit the System Monitoring section (probably under Advanced Monitors) to locate the logs. Look for any signs of Ethernet trouble or perhaps entries for UPnP/Firewall that were logged close to the time you were kicked. If you need a Username and Password, Username is admin and the password is your router's serial number by default.

As for the list of games in Port Forwarding, every router I've seen that comes with a list always has games that are over 6-7 years old. Rarely have I seen something with newer entries come by. You can always create your own Port Forwarding rules though, as I believe mentioned above which can be saved to that list.
0 Likes
davyoneshoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup only with Bad Company 2 , i do think it might be to do with EA servers as i cant even see the servers sometimes when i log in to Bad Company 2 .

Its a wierd one.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
That's always a possibility. Given that info it more than likely isn't an issue between the NIC or ActionTec connectivity wise, so that will rule that out. At this point the issue could be routing throwing it off, problems on EA's servers as you've mentioned or perhaps something going on with ports as someone suggested. See if you can get an IP of one of the EA game servers and perform a trace/ping to it, both when you lag out and when it's working fine. If the trace and/or ping completes without issues regardless of the situation, it would point to game server or firewall problem.