Limit on devices that can be connected?
NewToFIOS

We just got FIOS installed a few weeks ago. 3 STBs are connected, 1 Blackberry (as wireless device), 1 laptop (wireless), 1 desktop (wireless, but shows as ethernet in MyNetwork status), 1 DSi (wireless, but shows as ethernet).

Now I am trying to connect an additional laptop with wireless card and it won't show in MyNetwork. If I do ipconfig on the laptop I see the IP address that I assigned (192.168.1.50), but I cannot ping the router or any other device on the network.

Is there a maximum number of connections allowed on the router?  Why don't I see the added laptop? And why do 2 wireless devices show as ethernet vs. wireless?

Thank you for your help.

-Andreas

0 Likes
Re: Limit on devices that can be connected?
nXt1
Contributor - Level 1

Seems like you're logging into the Actiontec router to see your device info?

You really don't need to do that.

I take it you didn't change any settings right?

On the router, there is a label, look at the SSID, on the laptop, connect to that SSID.

Then look up the WEP KEY and type that in on the laptop when it asks.

You should be set.

The theoretical limit on wireless devices is 255. You should have NO problems connecting 5 wifi devices to the router provided by Verizon.

0 Likes
NewToFIOS

nXt,

Thank you for your response. I am logged into the router to see the setup and that's where I saw that the new laptop is not recognized, although I assigned the SSID and the WEP to the laptop.

So from that perspective the connection should be there, but it isn't Smiley Sad

@nXt wrote:

Seems like you're logging into the Actiontec router to see your device info?

You really don't need to do that.

I take it you didn't change any settings right?

On the router, there is a label, look at the SSID, on the laptop, connect to that SSID.

Then look up the WEP KEY and type that in on the laptop when it asks.

You should be set.

The theoretical limit on wireless devices is 255. You should have NO problems connecting 5 wifi devices to the router provided by Verizon.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NewToFIOS wrote:

We just got FIOS installed a few weeks ago. 3 STBs are connected, 1 Blackberry (as wireless device), 1 laptop (wireless), 1 desktop (wireless, but shows as ethernet in MyNetwork status), 1 DSi (wireless, but shows as ethernet).

Now I am trying to connect an additional laptop with wireless card and it won't show in MyNetwork. If I do ipconfig on the laptop I see the IP address that I assigned (192.168.1.50), but I cannot ping the router or any other device on the network.

Is there a maximum number of connections allowed on the router?  Why don't I see the added laptop? And why do 2 wireless devices show as ethernet vs. wireless?

Thank you for your help.

-Andreas

You shouldn't be assigning ip addresses to your devices as they are being assigned by dhcp from the router.  If you are going to assign your own fxed ip addresses you should make sure to exclude those addresses from the dhcp server assigned range on the router.  You should also be aware that the router reserves a range of addresses for the STBs.

If you're assigning an ip address because the laptop isn't aquiring an address from the router it means that the laptop isn't seeing the router, either there is not enough signal, the wifi nic is misconfigured or the key you used is incorrect.

VSNYC

I had a problem with this recetnly and here is what I did.

My setup:

About 2 hard wired devices and about 8 wireless of all types includeding on STB.  Four devices have statis IPs which are being doled out from a certain range with the dhcp range doled out from another.

I spoke with Verizon rep who sounded knowledgable.  He said there isn't limited on wireless devices.  In fact he said he had 15-20 at his home. 

He did check my broadband capacity, I have the lowest or next to the lowest and he said there were no problems there.

What I did was to reset the router from the small button hole, for lack of a better term, on the back of the router.

Connected all of my devices, wired and wireless.  No problems.  This was a router test only.

Reset the router again.  Now I set up the networks again.

Set the static IP range from 0 - 100.  The DHCP range is now 101-254.  This is a bit different than my prior setting in that I included the STB IP of x.x.x.100 in my static range whereas before I didn't.

I set my static IP devices up to get a certain IP. 

Connected them.

Then I connected my wireless devices one by one. 

Everything works. 

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

This is also typically a wireless interference issue.  

One of the 3 channels should produce better results.  only use channels 1, 6 and 11 

open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev(all)_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

0 Likes