Little to no wireless 30 feet from quantum router
Cans03

anyone experienced poor connection with quantum router? I got FiOS 3 weeks ago and have spent countless hours on the phone due to a salesman that lied to me, an incomplete install, and now I can't get wireless in the family room 30 feet from the room the router is in. Called tech support who couldn't solve after hour and half then they switched me to customer service to ask for a range extender. The service rep told me $75 for the extender and that my issue was I have walls in my house. I asked for a supervisor who told me the same thing and that he was the only person who could talk to me. His manager did not take phone calls. He stated $75 you can get an extender. Seems like I shouldn't need to pay to get wireless 30 feet from the router. Anyone else have similar issues and how did you resolve it as I'm at the point where I am going to switch back to TWC after 3 weeks of misery. Thanks all

0 Likes
Re: Little to no wireless 30 feet from quantum router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you have wireless coverage when you were with TWC?

Wireless coverage can be affected by multiple things.

Try changing and hardcoding the channel your wreless uses.

Are you trying to connect to the 5GHZ network or the 2.4? 5GHZ doesn't carry as far as 2.4.

If you still have your old TWC router you can easily use that to provide coverage.

0 Likes
Cans03

Yes I had coverage with TWC but no longer have that router but I do have an older router I tried hooking up. As for the 5ghz I can't even connect to that in the room the router is in. I changed the channel several times while on the phone with tech support. Also changed my setting to performance mode to no avail. It works great in the room the router sit though. Thx for the reply

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wifi with any of the fios routers is pretty pathetic.

I have 2 of my own routers with wifi enabled connected to the in house network at various locations that give adequate signal for tv streaming etc and somewhat adequate signal for mobile devices too.  Luckily old second hand routers are cheap to obtain.

I believe the wireless AC signal of your quantum router will actually provide the worst signal to use if you have lots of wall as AC has very poor penetration capabilities.  Also if your router was installed in the basement or lower faloor moving the router to a higher level will help with the signal.

0 Likes
Cans03

So I have an older bulking router that does not have a coax input. Could I connect the Ethernet cable to my tv to hook it up?

0 Likes
Cans03

Older belkin router. Sry auto correct kicked in. 

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could use the Belkin router as an Access Point, however you would have to run an ethernet cable to it.

You could not use the Coax cable, unless you had a splitter at both ends. And those get pretty expensive http://amzn.com/B008EQ4BQG

I would say your best bet would be to try and run ethernet to the place you get the worst signal, and use the belkin router there. Be sure though to set the Belkin router in AP (Access Point) mode, or else you'll have some trouble down the road if you just plug it in like normal. What is the model of the Belkin router? I could probably find a guide for you to put it in bridged mode if you did take this route.

0 Likes
ggraves

I have 2 FiOS Quantum Gateways that cover my entire house. Previously I had 4 Actiontec routers to accomplish the same thing. You haven't given us much to go on here. I would like to ask a few questions. If you aren't interested, just tell me. 

You seem to have experience with these things but if you're interested, I just want to get a documented.

1) Where is your router mounted? (e.g. on a shelf, in a cabinet, in the open) I have one in an equipment rack in my home entertainment room and one mounted in a bedroom in the open, so I am familiar with some issues.

2) Is the problem signal strength or speed? (Do you have wired connections into your router? Are they working? Have you run the Verizon Speed Test to find out your real speeds over wire?)

3) What are you attempting to connect to your Gateway, and on what band? 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz - I use both and I have good speed on them.

4) Is your Gateway connected to Verizon with Coax or Ethernet?

That should get us started.

George

0 Likes
Cans03

My old router is a Belkin surf

the quantum is located in a room off the kitchen where my computers are and is on the floor

problem is both signal strength and speed. I spent hour and half with tech support running speed tests and changing channels. My 2 laptops are wired to the router and get 80+ speed. Wireless in that room get 70+. If I try to connect to a laptop (which I used with tech support) or one of 3 iPads speeds dropped from 6-15 on both upload and download tests

i connect on the 2.4 we could not even get the 5.0 to connect. Tech support said problem was they had the same password but after she changed it it still has not worked and I can't connect to the 5.0

the quantum is connect via coax

thanks both for your replies and help

as far as setting the Belkin up in another room as an access point and changing it to That mode, I will have to google how to set to that mode as I am not sure how to do that but worth a try. 

Thx again

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the 5Ghz, lock the channel to one of the higher numbered channels. Those allow for the router to transmit at a higher power, which may help. Try to avoid any "Center" channels as these start to entrench into the "DFS" range which some devices do not like, but is less crowded.

For 2.4Ghz, disable auto channel scan and lock it to either 1, 6, or 11. 

0 Likes