Looking for thoughts on where to install battery backup box
smokeybandit
Enthusiast - Level 3

The previous owners partially finished the basement of our house in a rather short-sighted way.  Utilities come into the house in a room that was finished out as an office.  They crappily (if that's a word) just cut out holes in drywall to expose the power panels.  Getting to cable/phone lines is near impossible w/o ripping out drywall.

With that, I'd rather not have the battery box mounted in that room, but in the unfinished room next to it where the HVAC/water heater are.  However, it's going to be a pain to run a cable into that room (again, based on how the previous owners finished the basement), and I'd hate to subject the installer to that.

Does the battery box have to be mounted on a wall, or can it be standalone?  Or does anyone have any ideas on how to mount the box w/o mangling the wall too much?

0 Likes
Re: Looking for thoughts on where to install battery backup box
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not all that heavy.   Mine is in my garage and it's unfinished, but they simply found a stud and screwed it in that.   I would think they could surface mount in on the wall.   If you have an outside installation of the ONT, the box needs to be near both a power outlet and the ONT (they'll end up drilling a hole thru the wall to run power cable out to the ONT.   If you have an inside ONT, both will need to mount on the wall and they'll drill a hole to the outside to bring the fiber in from outside.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The BBU isn't much of a load on a drywall or just a 2x4.  Maybe the attached photo of the install in my garage will help.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@eljefe wrote:

The BBU isn't much of a load on a drywall or just a 2x4.  Maybe the attached photo of the install in my garage will help.

I've seen that Dustbuster before: Smiley Wink

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22372748-northeast-Overview-of-FIOS-installation

0 Likes
smokeybandit
Enthusiast - Level 3

If anyone cares, the installer ended up putting the BBU simply on the other side of the wall from the ONT (my formal dining room).  It sits inconspicuously along the baseboards.

0 Likes
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

They installed mine right above the ONT in my garage,

0 Likes
smokeybandit
Enthusiast - Level 3

@lou61166 wrote:

They installed mine right above the ONT in my garage,

Which would have been ideal, but my garage is on the opposite side of the house as the utilities.

I felt bad for my installer.  When we moved to the house 3 years ago, we simply moved our DSL, however, Verizon came out an ran fiber anyway.  Apparently this registered in Verizon's system as a previously existing install, so my installer was expecting an easy job.

To make it worse, he couldn't find the street-facing end of the fiber that was run, either.

0 Likes