Lower DSL plan offered at my address in relation to all neighbors VA 23456
imec

All my neighbors have 3 to 7 mbps  or 7 to 15 mbps for their high speed enhanced DSL.   It appears I am the only house in the block where the only plan available is 1.5 - 3 mbps.  Do I have any options in order to increase my speed, ie can Verizon send a technician to look at the cabling?.  When I go online to check available options for my address the best plan available is the one I already have: 1.5 - 3 mbps.  If I input my next door and across the street neighbors addresses they all have either 3 to 7 or 7 to 15 mbps.

I suspect if I were to cancel Verizon for a couple of months and then sign up as a new customer the higher speed plans would be available.

0 Likes
Re: Lower DSL plan offered at my address in relation to all neighbors VA 23456
hitmehhh
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah , it's a real kick in the {word filter avoidance} when they offer a better deal to a new customer than a longtime cutomer.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You may want to have a ticket put into engineering at Verizon to have your line checked and the database updated if you're not able to get a higher speed at only your own address. There could be some other reasons as to why, as you stated, poor line quality being detected, but it could be likely you're attached to some older equipment that isn't qualified for higher speeds.

0 Likes
imec

Thanks for the suggestion.  What can I request Verizon do if the issue is either  a) poor line quality  or b) older equipment.  Will they send a technician to replace the older equipment?

It is strange that both my next door neighbors and those across the street and behind, have higher speeds.  I would think we all share the same equipment.  I am obviously unhappy at getting charged the same amount of money as they do, but for much lower speeds.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What I meant by "Old equipment" is more or less on Verizon's end. They don't need to send a technician to your home since it would be the equipment at their CO or Remote Terminal. Regardless, if it is due to lines in poor condition they can send a tech out but they will work up to the Network Interface Device that is most likely affixed to the side of your home. Either way, talk to Verizon and make them at least double check their database.

0 Likes
imec

Is there a specific phone number I can call for the engineering department?  Verizon keeps sending me to Technical Support and they send me to billing because they tell me I need to upgrade my plan.  In billing they tell me the max speed at my house is 3mpbs then they send me back to technical support.  It looks like for some reason the Technical support department does not like having to send Verizon people to the houses to check the lines, probably costs them money.

0 Likes