MI424-WR - No wireless N
VZ

I have a MI424-W.  

It does not support Wireless N.

Version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4

Release Date: Jan 20 2011

Platform: MI424-WR

Hardware Version: 9A

I went to the verizon site and downloaded the latest firmare to see if that enabled wireless N but he firmware on the site is even lower than i have! **bleep**

4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6!

Assuming the router i have therefore will never support Wireless N.  Will verizon replace the router if asked?

0 Likes
Re: MI424-WR - No wireless N
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you running a Rev. A ActionTec as mentioned by the statistics you gave? The Rev. A is a dinosaur and I would suggest retiring it (keeping it as a spare) not because it doesn't support Wireless N but due to the lack of WPA2 security on that router for the Wireless.

Either way, if you ask Verizon for a new router, what you get is a gamble. You can request a Rev. G or Rev. I ActionTec but there is absolutely no guarantee they will send you one of those. It's ultimately what they have in the storeroom. At random a router will be selected, and this can be anything from a Rev. C to a Rev. F most likely, or a Westell 9100EM. Only the Rev. F in that list is capable of Wireless N, Draft N at best.

Verizon does sell an MI424WR Rev. I, but at a price (I think it's around $120?). You're best getting a cheap Wireless N Access Point (they run for $30) and hooking it to your ActionTec to be honest. Less hair pulling and less issues.

0 Likes