Making fiber installation easier for tenants?
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

I own a few apartment buildings and was wondering what I could to do help verizon run Fiber. Currently about 80% of my tenats are on FiOS, and it seems that Verizon has put an ONT Box in each individual unit, and running a fiber line direct to that.

Is there anything i can do for verizon that makes the fiber installation easier? Such as a central hub in the basement or something.

Just purely curious, it seems they are doing fine at the moment, but just want to make sure my buildings are best suited for fiber.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Making fiber installation easier for tenants?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know that Verizon has a different mechanism than ONTs in every apartment.

It involves a device called a  MDU.

I would contact Verizon and see what you can do for that.

View solution in original post

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might find these 2 videos very interesting.

Go Here:

http://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Quick-Guides/Optical-Network-Terminal.htm

look at 

Wiring your home for FIOS

All about the ONT Optical Network Terminal.

Keep us posted if you find out something not covered by those videos.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know that Verizon has a different mechanism than ONTs in every apartment.

It involves a device called a  MDU.

I would contact Verizon and see what you can do for that.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks! Will look into an MDU unit. I know the building is only 5 units, one of which is using Comcast. (yuck).

Maybe thats why its been ONT in every apartment for the time being?

Will look into MDU Units.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JustinG wrote:

Thanks! Will look into an MDU unit. I know the building is only 5 units, one of which is using Comcast. (yuck).

Maybe thats why its been ONT in every apartment for the time being?

Will look into MDU Units.

Note that the MDU units will limit the speeds available to your tenants. The Internet service will be delivered over VDSL2 rather than Fiber to the unit. This means that speeds will *usually* cap at around 25/25Mbps or 30Mbps/5Mbps. Latency will also be significantly higher - instead of being a potential 1ms to the CO, the latency will be a minimum of 22ms due to VDSL Interleaving that Verizon will never shut off. Strongly suggested not to do that as Cable companies are already wiping those speeds across the floor. FiOS being delivered over Souped up DSL wouldn't look too good 🙂

Usually, if you can help Verizon plan the routes for the Fiber, and designate areas for their equipment in each unit, it will help speed up the engineering and construction process. Identifying pre-existing, non-electrical conduit for them will also help dramatically with cable pulls.

0 Likes