MoCa adapter not passing network throug coax
dwiener
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just installed a Actiontec ECB2200 to connect my Tivo directly to the lan rather than using WiFi. The Tivo is recieving the network fine through the adapter. The STB is getting cable signal, but not getting any LAN over the coax? Am I missing something here in my hookup? Verizon tech support suggested trying a splitter and running the coax direct to each.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MoCa adapter not passing network throug coax
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can not use the "out" from the ECB2200 for any purpose.    Not sure why you have both an STB and a Tivo -- but I am going to assume you have a Tivo with a CableCard in it.  As you mention an STB, Tivo, and ECB2200 ... the correct setup is as follows:

- Cable from wall into a three-way splitter (must be capable of passing 1000mHz signals)

- "A" output from splitter to ECB2200

- "B" output from splitter to STB

- "C" output from splitter to Tivo

- "Out" from ECB2200 should have a terminator attached (small round plug with a knob like protrusion on it usually)

- Ethernet cable from Tivo network port to ECB2200 network port

- Video outputs (HDMI, etc.) to the TV inputs from the STB and Tivo.

You will then need to configure the Tivo, I suspect, to use the network port as it's method of attaching to the network rather than the wireless connection.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can not use the "out" from the ECB2200 for any purpose.    Not sure why you have both an STB and a Tivo -- but I am going to assume you have a Tivo with a CableCard in it.  As you mention an STB, Tivo, and ECB2200 ... the correct setup is as follows:

- Cable from wall into a three-way splitter (must be capable of passing 1000mHz signals)

- "Out" from ECB2200 should have a terminator attached (small round plug with a knob like protrusion on it usually)

You will then need to configure the Tivo, I suspect, to use the network port as it's method of attaching to the network rather than the wireless connection.

0 Likes
dwiener
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, that is what the Verizon tech suggested as well and its working now.

The Tivo is my DVR. The STB is for the TV as I had originally planned on using it with a cable card, but the older set wouldn't support a multistream card. I find the direct LAN connection to the Tivo much more reliable than wifi, especially for streaming netflix movies

@lasagna wrote:

0 Likes
Re: MoCa adapter not passing network through coax
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@lasagna wrote:

You can not use the "out" from the ECB2200 for any purpose.     

Not quite accurate. 

You can not use the output from the ECB2200 to feed a Verizon STB since the ECB2200 does not pass the MOCA signal to the OUT connector. 

You can use the OUT connector to feed the Tivo or other non-MOCA device.  This eliminates the need for one of the taps on the splitter.

0 Likes