Modem problem PPP Down
tjleggett97
Enthusiast - Level 1

HELP I have verizon DSL modem westell # 7500. Often getting no internet access, modem would say PPP down. reconnect and it would work for a bit then go down again, eventually didn't come up at all, wired/wireless. I called verizon and they did a line test, all okay. I tried different lines as well. No phone wire changes have been made in the last 6months, no problem till now.  Got a new Modem and it started again, but does reconnect. I did a system restore back to prior to the error no help... what do I do now, verizon visits are too expensive

Re: Modem problem PPP Down
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

First thing's first, which package are you paying for from Verizon?

Second, visit http://192.168.1.1/ in your Web Browser, and then click on System Monitoring from the top navigation. Select Advanced Monitors from the Left Navigation, and then choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy and Paste the information you see on that page.

If you need a Username/Password for the Westell, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Modem's Serial Number

Your Verizon Username and Password

0 Likes
ilya745
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0  

Vendor ID Code: 4  

Line Mode: G.DMT Mode  

Data Path: Interleaved    

Transceiver Information                            Downstream Path                     Upstream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)                                1184                                              448

Margin (dB)                                                      17.0                                                8.0

Line Attenuation (dB)                                        37.5                                               17

Transmit Power (dBm)                                      12                                               11.9

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ilya745 wrote:

I have the same problem

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0  

Vendor ID Code: 4  

Line Mode: G.DMT Mode  

Data Path: Interleaved    

Transceiver Information                            Downstream Path                     Upstream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)                                1184                                              448

Margin (dB)                                                      17.0                                                8.0

Line Attenuation (dB)                                        37.5                                               17

Transmit Power (dBm)                                      12                                               11.9

Your upstream margin is a bit low, so perhaps your issue is due to the line losing sync, rather than a loss of PPPoE connectivity. Could you provide your modem logs? They are in the same location as the Transceiver Statistics, but under the "System Logging" section. Post up the system log from the "All" category. If you get a message from the forums saying the post is too lengthy, post it up at http://www.pastebin.com/ and provide the URL to the post, here.

0 Likes
ilya745
Enthusiast - Level 2
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ilya745 wrote:

http://pastebin.com/muvAyQqh

Looks like your line is dropping out. The upstream margin is all over the place which suggests that is the problem. Would you by any chance have voice service with Verizon?

0 Likes
ilya745
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, my phone is also with verizon. 

0 Likes
ilya745
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, any suggestions?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry about the delay in replying. Do you notice any noise on the voice side of the line, such as humming, buzzing, hissing, or static that should not be there? A call should be clear and when the dial tone is "silenced" when dialing a number, there should be silence on the line.

0 Likes
ilya745
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, i seem to have resolved the problem. You were right with the point you were making, the problem was with the line itself. i moved my computer to a different room, so now the modem is connected to a different phone jack. it works flawlessly now, so i guess the problem was with that phone line. Connection hasn't broken once since. 

0 Likes