Re: My Wi-Fi password should be private
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@evielou37 wrote:

If you don't mind me asking how expensive are they (your  Linksys EA 6900

I have verizon wifi

I have been trying for days to get help with setting up my tablet no answer as of yet grrr__

I did a reset,put in my SS I D /location did everything possible still no connection from tablet to router

any suggestions >? many thanks reguardless :

What kind of tablet?  What error message do you get?  What kind of Verizon router are trying to connect to? What speed tier is your Service?

Your out of your mind if you go and buy an AC router if your tier is below 100mb

prisaz
Legend

@viafax999 wrote:

@evielou37 wrote:

If you don't mind me asking how expensive are they (your  Linksys EA 6900

I have verizon wifi

I have been trying for days to get help with setting up my tablet no answer as of yet grrr__

I did a reset,put in my SS I D /location did everything possible still no connection from tablet to router

any suggestions >? many thanks reguardless :

What kind of tablet?  What error message do you get?  What kind of Verizon router are trying to connect to? What speed tier is your Service?

Your out of your mind if you go and buy an AC router if your tier is below 100mb

Off Topic, sort of. Follow viafax999. or get Verizon to repace your router, but first provide information on your Verizon model of router, revision, and service level. Plus your tablet/laptop informaton.

If you have a tablet/laptop running Windows 8, does it show your routers SSID? If not, is WiFi turned on from the pull out tab, and settings on the right side.

I have seen older laptops that do not support newer security protocols. You can get a very low cost USB WiFi NIC if your laptop wireless is not up to the task.

Examples

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayDetails

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fileshare/plm/brochure/zn220_brochure.pdf

Or somewhere else.

Well I was streaming Media Center content and also running large file transfers(movies) to my wireless device(tablet), so they could be watched away from home, on the train and elsewhere. It just worked better. I agree with you in regards to spending $200 on a router, but look at what Verizon was selling the Actiontec routers for.Smiley Frustrated

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayDetails

The were about $195. But realizing they dont support dual band, and don't do well with even wireless N, Verizon cut the price in half. But yes an AC router is over Kill, and yes when I purchaced it, it was right after I went to 150/65.

It depends on your needs. There are plent of nice access points under $100. But mine being my secondary router, I wanted something that would interface with my nice 16 Port Gigabit Layer 2 Managed switch. More over kill. Leave Six of more Media Extenders running with constant streaming when you turn off your TVs, and have 12-16 tuners, the network gets VERY busy.   

Right now I also have a VMS-1100 and three IPC-1100 clients. So that is coax feeding three Media Center Tuners, and four Verizon boxes. Let me count 22 tuners. I believe only a VHO has that many and more. Yes I am cutting back, as the Quantum TV just came on line and the PQ is seccond to none! Yes I have always been on the cutting edge. Love the Consumer Electronics Show! I thought of paying my own way if I can get in with a group or back on their list as an Independent dealer or consultant, I am heavy into Z-Wave home controls too.

Call me out of my mind.Smiley LOL               

0 Likes
NYGroove1

For the most part it is - until you give it to guests to log on to check email from their devices, etc. and you forget to change it after they leave (which you really should do just to keep things secure - not out of mistrust).

Verizon doesn't need your password ... you signed a contract which allows them full access to all things data running off their network when you signed up for internet service (as do all internet service providers).    Verizon isn't going to take the hit if one of their customers is running something illegal (why should they?)   So they (or their bots) are given permission, by your signature, to come in at their leisure and browse everything you have stored on any devices hanging off their network.

What really irritates me about that tho is that they STILL make me type my account password a bazillion times just to get onto their site.  Geez.Smiley Surprised

0 Likes
NYGroove1

@mpop wrote:

This is one of the reason I have a router/firewall between the fios "router" and my network.

According to the terms on my contract, that's prohibited (my contract is from 8/2013).

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NYGroove wrote:

@mpop wrote:

This is one of the reason I have a router/firewall between the fios "router" and my network.

According to the terms on my contract, that's prohibited (my contract is from 8/2013).

Not supported.  Nothing prohibits it as far as I know.

Sweetdebbie

How does have a private password on my fios  router 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes