NEW Verizon router doesn’t work with my Mac book pro 2017. HELP!
Armadillo2022
Enthusiast - Level 2

NEW Verizon router doesn’t work with my Mac book pro 2017. HELP!

SYNOPSIS: Before hand my verizon router was regular and macbook was never dropping from the wifi. But in the first week of October I upgraded my wifi to 500 mbps 3.0 and Verizon sent me new router fad part of the updated package deal. My Mac book pro has been dropping and my siblings Mac book pro (2017) as well.

• 

At the end of October we returned the new router for another NEW router believing it was dysfunctional and that solved nothing. Verizon isn't of any help as well.
  • 

Mac book pro drops every 1-2 mins and won’t stay connected. The only way I use it is by turning the wifi of and on in Mac settings. I do this every 5 mins on my Mac.
  • When I go to my grandmas house with an older router the wifi stays connected on my Mac.
  • 
PRAM/SMC reset. Router reboot/Reset doesn’t work either!
  • iPad, iPhones, androids, windows laptops, TVs all work with the NEW ROUTER.

PLEASE help me I won’t be able to do presentation online with this issue nearing the end of my semester.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: NEW Verizon router doesn’t work with my Mac book pro 2017. HELP!
Armadillo2022
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Cang_Household wrote:

Did you do as I say by unplugging all cables from the laptop see if the wireless link stays?

If not, could you try to connect to the 2.4GHz band. You have never mentioned the router model you have.

Is it a G3100, a CR1000A, a CR1000B, or something else?

imageimage 1

imageimage 2

Yes, I did unplug all cables and the issue did not correct itself.

I switched to 2.4GHz but it still dropped. I have a CR1000A model for my router. Thank you for the lightbulb that made me find a solution that works! changing my security WPA from WPA 2 to WPA 3 on my 5GHz fixed it, I hope...

However, since you mentioned the 2.4GHz then I tried some things.

1. I clicked the 'security info' icon on (image 1). then after I read the part about IoT (image 2) I enabled IoT wifi and then connected to it.
    • Which worked without disconnecting but MUCH slower speeds where I couldn't use ZOOM properly. Everything loaded SLOW. Changed after reading about security concerns on IoT.
  2. Read image 2 again which gave me the idea to change my 2.4GHz security WPA 2 -> WPA 3 (image 1)
    • This now stayed connected without issues but still slow. The speed test was around 10-30mbps upload and download speeds.
  3. Finally, I changed the 5GHz WPA 2 -> WPA 3 and now it's working flawlessly. A hour in and no issues with the network. I used the Verizon speed test to then test my router speeds on each device and device speeds on each device.
    • The speed tested for router ran between 500-600+ mbps on my phone, Mac, and tablet.
    • The speed tested for device ran 275-350 mbps on the same 3 devices.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I seem to remember a topic a while back that discussed problems with keeping MacBooks connected. I think a patch or update was involved getting the MacBook to stay connected....bit I'll defer to others who have a clearer memory of the subject.

I'm a Windows guy so I haven't experienced this problem.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Synopsis? Are you trying to write a research article or a lab report?

When you upgrade your Internet speed plan, you don't say you upgraded the WiFi. WiFi is just one of many ways that a network connection could be established with your devices.

For a device to have a network connection, it needs both a link layer connection and a network layer connection, so it is ambiguous to say "a device drops." To check whether the link is there, you need to see in the Network settings whether the SSID network name selection changes from the Verizon router SSID name to No Network Selected over time. To check whether the network connection is there, you need to see in the Network setting whether the SSID network name selects your Verizon router SSID but reports No IP address. If you are in doubt, you could post your Network setting screenshot here with the device physical (MAC) address redacted.

Armadillo2022
Enthusiast - Level 2

imageimage 1

imageimage 3

I apologies for the synopsis bit and the wrong words of it 'dropping'. I attached screenshots of my TCP/IP (image 1) and DNS settings above.  It shows you that my wifi is connected for the time being however if wait long enough without turning it off the wifi signal will sometimes disconnect fully as seen in (image 3) despite my wifi being on and the DNS settings disappear. Then I turn it off and back on for it to temporarily work as seen in slide 2 of the instagram link. I have a video linked below to show exactly what I mean since I cannot attach a video on the forum. It will relink to a instagram post I just made on my edu burner instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck9hdJVrmzW/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

As a policy matter, I can't click through external links. You could upload a video to the Forums directly.

I can tell it is a link issue. So DHCP problem, IP conflicts are out of the equation.

Now investigate what is causing the link issue...

I don't recognize the Network setup interface, how old is your OS? You might need to update the OS to get newer drivers for the wireless interface.

The other thing to try is to disconnect all cables from the computer, including power cable, and try to reconnect the network. There were reports saying USB 3 is interfering with 5GHz band.

Armadillo2022
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's the newest macOS Ventura 13.0 2022, which I updated to last month October hoping it would fix this current issue (it has a completely new settings navigation UI sadly). I only use USB Type C cables, nothing else, and not even a dongle.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you do as I say by unplugging all cables from the laptop see if the wireless link stays?

If not, could you try to connect to the 2.4GHz band. You have never mentioned the router model you have.

Armadillo2022
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Cang_Household wrote:

imageimage 1

imageimage 2

Yes, I did unplug all cables and the issue did not correct itself.

I switched to 2.4GHz but it still dropped. I have a CR1000A model for my router. Thank you for the lightbulb that made me find a solution that works! changing my security WPA from WPA 2 to WPA 3 on my 5GHz fixed it, I hope...

However, since you mentioned the 2.4GHz then I tried some things.

1. I clicked the 'security info' icon on (image 1). then after I read the part about IoT (image 2) I enabled IoT wifi and then connected to it.
    • Which worked without disconnecting but MUCH slower speeds where I couldn't use ZOOM properly. Everything loaded SLOW. Changed after reading about security concerns on IoT.
  2. Read image 2 again which gave me the idea to change my 2.4GHz security WPA 2 -> WPA 3 (image 1)
    • This now stayed connected without issues but still slow. The speed test was around 10-30mbps upload and download speeds.
  3. Finally, I changed the 5GHz WPA 2 -> WPA 3 and now it's working flawlessly. A hour in and no issues with the network. I used the Verizon speed test to then test my router speeds on each device and device speeds on each device.
    • The speed tested for router ran between 500-600+ mbps on my phone, Mac, and tablet.
    • The speed tested for device ran 275-350 mbps on the same 3 devices.
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes