Need Help With Modem
rsxjersey

I have a Westell 6100F. After I reinstalled Windows on my computer, I was no longer able to access the wired internet from my computer. The DSL  light is on and stable, but the data light is off while the internet light blinks. The data light is off because it's not recognizing a connection with the computer. But, here's the kicker. When I connect the modem to my Macbook, the data light turns on. Then it gives me the option of signing up for Verizon Internet. So, the modem isn't the problem. But, when I connect it to my mom's laptop which runs Windows, the data light doesnt come on as well.I dont think anything is wrong with the computers connection port either.

Another kicker: when I connect the modem to my wireless router, the data lght comes on and I have wireless internet access.

Message Edited by rsxjersey on 03-06-2009 12:41 PM
0 Likes
Re: Need Help With Modem
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Based upon what you said, I think I know why...

Verizon in DHCP areas, is using MAC Address Bonding.
-

This is true as long as you can connect from behind the RJ-45 WAN port router. In your case that means the wireless router...

For Windows, I would recommend staying behind the router.

Let the router handle the public IP DHCP connection.

You will find it, a lot safer then directly connecting to the net.
0 Likes
Re: Need Help With Modem
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

If you re-installed windows, the first thing I would check is your device manager to see if your ethernet drivers we're reinstalled.  Go to control panel, system, click on the hardware tab and locate the device manager.  If there is a yellow ! next to the ehternet then you will need to reload the drivers.

If you happen to get this resolved and you now try to go to the inter net and you get that page to create a new account, then select Reconnect to the Internet because I reset or replaced my modem  this should prompt you to re-enter your Verizon user name and password which should store it back into the modem.

0 Likes