Network Extender WCB3000N with MI424WR Router
jkuehn9489

Hello All,

I'm looking for some advice regarding some problems I'm coming across when trying to install my new network extender.

First of, my verizon router is MI424WR (Black, I've read some are red) and the network extender I recently got is a WCB3000N.

I have my router downstairs and been having problems with my WiFi upstairs. I have a coax cable upstairs where my TV is (obviously), so I just put a splitter in and now it goes into my TV box and the new network extender.

Now, it looks like it works (I see both the 2.4G and 5G when I scan for WiFi), but nothing will connect to it. Everything gets stuck on "obtaining an IP address".

When I connect the extender directly into the router via Ethernet, both the 2.4G and the 5G show up and everything can connect to either one easily. The problem is that doesn't really solve the problem when I want the extender upstairs rather than just sitting next the router.

I can access the extender's GUI with no problem (once I'm in there, I really have no idea what any of the settings actually mean lol).

Is there something that I need to change with either the router or the extender to allow this extender to work when connected to the coax upstairs? Running an ethernet cable from my router all the way upstairs to the extender is something I'd really rather avoid.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Network Extender WCB3000N with MI424WR Router
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I would suggest you start by checking to see if the extender works with the splitter out of the circuit.  Connect the cable that normally fed the TV to the extender and see if that helps.

If the extender works when connected without the splitter you need a better splitter.

If that test still doesn't work, try connecting the extender directly to the router via a short length of coax.

My thinking is checking to see if the signal getting upstairs and through your splitter might be on the weak side of what the extender requires.

That how I would start troubleshooting.  

Good luck.

0 Likes
Re: Network Extender WCB3000N with MI424WR Router
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

A new 2 Way Coax Splitter is a very reasonable solution.

https://www.verizon.com/home/fios-accessories/2-way-coax-splitter/

0 Likes