New D-Link2750B figting my Linksys WMP54G wireless NIC
orioles
My old Westell 2200 modem started to fail so I called Verizon for a replacement. I was down to about 30 kbps download. I had used a Linksys WRT54G router to connect to my WINXP desktop with a WMP54G-PCI NIC for years. I told the support guy that the modem was going bad and he DID arrange for a replacement in one call, but he also insisted that a technician come out in a few days to test the wiring. The tech called ahead (as promised) and was on schedule. He was polite and I have no problems with his service. After about an hour of poking around, he informed me that my modem was going bad 😕 So now I have a shiny-new D-Link 2750B modem/router. I can connect my wireless NIC to the D-Link, and it transfers packets, but I cannot get internet access (no IP?). As long As I have the ethernet cable connected, I DO HAVE internet access, so Verizon considers this issue solved. However, I have to run an ethernet cable along the floor to the access point which is at the other end of the house. There must be some setting in the D-Link's wireless or firewall settings that I'm missing. Any help out there?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New D-Link2750B figting my Linksys WMP54G wireless NIC
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I would check to make sure you are using the correct wireless credentials. It would stil send/receive packets to the router if it had the incorrect wireless information, it just would not access the internet. If the wireless credentials are not on a sticker on the side of your router, you can log into the router with the Ethernet cord plugged in to get the info.

View solution in original post

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I would check to make sure you are using the correct wireless credentials. It would stil send/receive packets to the router if it had the incorrect wireless information, it just would not access the internet. If the wireless credentials are not on a sticker on the side of your router, you can log into the router with the Ethernet cord plugged in to get the info.

orioles
Hmm.. So maybe I have not entered the correct MAC(SSID) or the correct (WPA) key. The Verizon-technician told me that the new D-Link 2750B router/modem required a "case-sensitive" SSID and password so I entered what was printed on the sticker on the bottom of the gateway. However, all of the alphabetic-characters on the sticker are in CAPS. When I l connect with the modem via my Linksys-wireless card, it shows ALL alphabetic-characters in lower-case characters.
0 Likes
orioles
Thanks for the tip Anthony! I got it working now. Even though the MAC(SSID) on the gateway is printed with all CAPS, it was actually all lowercase letters. The WPA key, however, WAS all in CAPS. Very confusing The linksys wireless card was showing a connection even though the security was not synced. I got it configured now and I don't have a cable running across my kitchen floor! Thanks again for the help. Go! Os!
0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Glad to hear this is taken care of. Please post anytime you need assistance. Everyone here is more than eager to help out.

0 Likes