New Firmware 40.21.18 & FTP Server
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Has anyone been able to get a FTP server to work using Port 21 or for that matter any port on the latest router firmware 40.21.18?

I had no problems on 40.21.10.3.

I have tried port forwarding, DMZ  and aleternative ports but Verizon seems to be blocking as it doesn't seem as I can open any ports except the common ones used for web browsing and e-mail.

I had a nice setup before where I only authorized the port forwards for a few hours during periods when I might need to retrieve a file.     

Yes and before you tell me, I know  FTP isn't that secure but in the time I had my FTP server working I never saw anyone trying to hack in and even if they did all they would get/ seen are fully backed up copies of certain photos.  Also reverting the firmware to the prior version would not fully solve my problem as 40.21.10.3  killed  DynamicDNS.

I would just like to get it working again if anyone has been able to accomplish it.  If not I will go to a plan B and store the phots somewhere else.

0 Likes
Re: New Firmware 40.21.18 & FTP Server
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the Firewall enabled on the router? How about UPnP? 

You can enable or disable UPnP from this link: http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=900

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for your suggestions.

UPnP was enabled as is the default on the Actiontec at least with this firmware.

It should not be necessary to have on as port forwarding is supposed to take care of manually opening the port.  DMZ opens every port from the Internet to the device in the DMZ so again UPnP is redundant but worth a try a guess.

Setting the firewall at the lowest level didn't allow the FTP server to connect either.

Apparently Verizon is blocking the port.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Called FIOS advanced support and they have no explination of why it is not working.  I did ask them to send me a link to the firmware prior to 40.21.10.3 which is two updates agor when both Dyanamic DNS was working and so was my FTP connection.   Reverting to a known working firmware would answer the question if it is the router or the Verizon network.

Their only suggestion is to change from a MOCA connection to an Ethernet drop from the OTN so I could out my own router in front  to connect to the WAN.

Before I do this does anyone have an FTP server working on FIOS configured behind any hardware setup?   I hate to make a bunch of  network changes when the Open Port test tool indicates that Port 21 isn't open and the probable cause is Verizon.

Nice to have the DynamicDNS funtionality working again on the router but not particularly useful if the only service you can run is remote access.

Again if you have an FTP server running and can access it from the WAN please let me know.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I have it working here on the same firmware, was working before and after with no hiccup using Guild FTP server and clients

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Works fine for me, however I do not use port 21.

Using Filezilla server.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks.

Strange I use Filezilla on my phones and tablets.  Have you tried connecting   running Filezilla on a phone and connecting using 3G/4G?

Also what port are you using?   I have tried a few other options but could not establish a connection.

Thanks.

0 Likes