Non Verizon router
Entely

Can anyone advise if there is a non Verizon router available that will work with a coax cable coming directly from the ONT. I have only internet and phone service from Verizon. My ONT was replaced with a new ONT about a year ago after being told the old ONT would not be serviced anymore. I have tried the G3100 router but have experienced many of the same problems mentioned in other posts. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Non Verizon router
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 You only need to use their NAT router if:

a) You have Fios TV One (or if I am/was close but not quite: Fios One TV).

b) You need support from them. Support will end at the ONT if you use your own NAT router.

#2 Since you do not have Fios TV, you can change the cable from the ONT to ethernet.

As how to do that I am not sure since I do not and never had Fios but I know part of the answer.

a) You can wire it your self or hire some one else (ex electrician) to put the wire in place.

b) You must contact Verizon for them to switch it from Moca to ethernet.

c) Once you get their NAT router working, then you can switch it your NAT router.

#3 While I am sure that you could use ethernet instead of Moca, but if desired you could put their NAT router into bridge mode. Then your RJ-45 WAN port NAT router goes behind theirs. But please keep in mind that that Moca will not work above a certain speed (ex: 500 MB. Note sure if that is the correct number).

View solution in original post

Re: Non Verizon router
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 You only need to use their NAT router if:

a) You have Fios TV One (or if I am/was close but not quite: Fios One TV).

b) You need support from them. Support will end at the ONT if you use your own NAT router.

#2 Since you do not have Fios TV, you can change the cable from the ONT to ethernet.

As how to do that I am not sure since I do not and never had Fios but I know part of the answer.

a) You can wire it your self or hire some one else (ex electrician) to put the wire in place.

b) You must contact Verizon for them to switch it from Moca to ethernet.

c) Once you get their NAT router working, then you can switch it your NAT router.

#3 While I am sure that you could use ethernet instead of Moca, but if desired you could put their NAT router into bridge mode. Then your RJ-45 WAN port NAT router goes behind theirs. But please keep in mind that that Moca will not work above a certain speed (ex: 500 MB. Note sure if that is the correct number).