ONT Ethernet Port Activation
Tcalandrino
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Everyone, 

I am currently trying get Verizon to activate the Ethernet port on my ONT so I can use my own Enterprise Firewall. I know many customers have done this, but I am running into duffictiles getting someone on the phone at Verizon who understands what I need and can give me specifics as to how I can do this and still keep my on-demand and channel guide menu.I've called 3 times and received conflicting information.

So far this is what I've been told: 

First phone call -  Verizon tech support checks my equimpnet and says "We can activiate it for you over the phone call back and let us know when you are ready and you wont need the Actiontech router becasue you don't have DVR so the STB will get programming information over the coax connection" 

I thought this is great so all I need to do is get an ethernet cable ran and I'm good so I spend all day running a cat6 cable from the ONT outside to the location inside my home where my network equipment is. Dressed it all in nice and was feeling good about the whole thing and called back. 

Second Phone call - I ask for the port to be activated and the person has no idea what I am talking about (even though I referenced the ticket number) and transfers me to tech where I sat on hold for like an hour.  When i referenced the ticket number the tech said "The ethernet port cannot be activated over the phone and I will in fact need to keep the Actiontech router if I want channel guides and on demand to work"

Now I am completly confused so I say ok thats fine I will check my scheduel and call be to make the appoinment. I am fine with keeping the Actiontech somewhere in the loop I just don't want it handling my internet since it's so limited finctionality. 

Third Phone call - Now I call back to schedule the appoinment (referencing the original ticket) for a tech to come out activate the port and address some wiring issues with their coax cable outside. I have a cable that is kinked and when the wind blows hard my TV freezes. I am told by a Verizon reprensetive that "You need to pay us for a service call if you want a tech to come out and activate the Ethernet port on the ONT. The service fee is a one time charge of $200 and he will take care of the cable issue on the same visit" 

I'm saying to myself WTH ? Of course I dispute charge of $200 and don't schedule the appoinment. There was never any mention of a cost associated with activating the ethernet port in either of the prior two phone calls and during my research on this topic I have never seen it mentioned. Also, here on the forums I have never seen a Fios customer that has done this mention a cost. I wonder if there is a hidden cost for a tech to come out and repair their faulty cabling as well.

My hope with this post is that someone can provide factual information as to how I can use my own Firewall router and keep my channel guide/VOD. Also, if I do need a tech to come out to active the Ethernet port how can get to the appropriate Fios group to handle this request? I wouldn't imagine there is a cost for a cable reapir so I don't see why a tech couldn't be dispatched primarily to repair the cable (which is more labor intensve) and activate the port as part of the same work order? If there is an assocaited cost that others have paid for the activation I am fine with it, but considerign all the conflicting information I've already received and not seeing it mentioned anywhere in the forums I doubt there is a "onetime fee".

I know there are many post about Fios users hacking the Actiontech and bridging it. I don't want to go this route since it's not supported by Verizon and could make getting support from them in the future even more difficult. I would rather play by the rules and have the ONT hardware I pay montly for work in the fashion I need it to without being told i have to pay more money for it. I will say after this bit of confusion and wasting of my time on the phone, I am not too happy. I am serisouly considering other options for an internet providers. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT Ethernet Port Activation
Tcalandrino
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok so everyone know this is how my setup is currently working with channel guides and VOD. I was able to get a hold of a verizon rep that knew what he was doing and here is what we did. 

1. Activated ONT port over the phone at no charge. 

2. factory reset my old actiontech router

3. plugged my firewall into the ONT with cat6

4. plugged the WAN port of actiontech to lan port on my firewall

5. rebooted the actiontech

6. plugged a computer directly to a LAN port on the actiontec it got a 192.168.x.x address

7. tested loading web pages. 

8. rebooted all STB

9. checked actioin tech router for STB population.

10. checked the VOD loaded

thanks to eveyone that heled here and the fantastic verizon tech would worked on figuring this out with me for an hour. 

Done. 

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Actually all three calls contain accurate information.

you call in and tell Verizon tech support to provision you over to ethernet. That can be done over the phone.

However you don’t say what speeds you are on now. Speeds at 75/75 or below use coaxial for the connection.  And although you have the actiontech your using your own router would be done in access point mode in order to keep the TV guide and vod service. 

If you just install the owner provided router the Verizon tech people will only troubleshoot up to your homes ont for speeds etc.

The fixing of the coaxial would or should be a covered repair IF it is due to Verizon’s negligence. If not they are going to charge you. Just like any repair like a plumber or electrician. So it may be a miscommunication between the both of you.

call back and use the term I gave you above.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Tcalandrino
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

My speeds are 100/100.

I beleive the information I received in the 3 calls was conflciting. Can you tell me what you think the accurate information in each call was? I'm pretty sure I was crystal clear as to what I wanted to do and was provided different information as to what I needed and how it's done. 

Please expain the following:

"And although you have the actiontech your using your own router would be done in access point mode in order to keep the TV guide and vod service." 

Can you verify if there is a charge for the Ethernet port activation? This is what i was told I needed to pay extra for.

The coax cabling was installed by Verzion 5 years ago and I have already verfyied my TV is freezes each time that cable is moved so I don't see how this repair could come with a cost. 

I will call back at your direction and use the phrase "provision me over to ethernet" and see if they helps. Should I reference the original ticket or scrap that and start fresh? 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

If you are using the Verizon router then nothing has to be done other than ask for the provisioning to be switched to ethernet. Now if at your 100/100 speeds you may have been installed via coaxial (MOCA)and the ONT you are using may need to be upgraded.

that is normally what a premise visit entails. If you were say raising your speed above a certain level they will send a tech to upgrade you for free. 

Verizon no longer uses coaxial for broadband installs. But ethernet. The other thing is a customer would need to know how to install the cat6 or cat5e ethernet from the ont to the router. That is why it is best to let them do it.

and there should be no charge to repair a coaxial cable that was damaged via no fault of your own. That is part of your service. And a rep telling you that there is a charge for switching from MOCA to ethernet is totally stupid on their part. In most cases it’s done at the company. But if ethernet needs to be switched out then there may be a premise charge. I cannot say for certain there is not. But you might want to ask Verizon Direct at  

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

They may be better able to assist you then posting in a customer helping customer forum.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Tcalandrino
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again for your reply. 

I have the cat6 already in place insdie the ONT. I design IP networks by trade so I am very familiar with ethernet cabling installation ect. 

I was told the service is MOCA since I am getting my internet/TV though coax. Not sure if that's ture, but what is true is that I have an existing ethernet port inside my ONT so I don't think an upgrade of the ONT is necessary. 

I am gonig to call them again Monday before I post in another forum. I feel like the people I am reaching on the weekends are double dum. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Yep it’s great to have knowledge. I in my way younger days worked in a network support group/computer operations. Like I said in another post my installer was computer dumb not wiring dumb. But I still assisted him and the job was done even quicker.

the best time to call to get an American representative is between 8 am and 5 pm edt 

i am very doubtful that the support from the Philippines or the other off shoring centers is worth your time or trouble.

The ont may have the ethernet connection in the ont but it does not always mean the unit can handle higher speeds, nor at times it may not be active. I know when I had my install the unit I ended up with was an old Alcatel which had been rated up to gigabyte speeds. Sometimes the ONT needs to be replaced. Besides they are rolling out a new best of the best ont .

Hope it all works out.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have Verizon STBs with your TV service, it is best to keep FIOS router as primary.

They have a number of specific ports that need to be opened in support of that.

If you are savy enough, then google own router fios TV service to see what others have done when using their own router with FIOS STBs.

0 Likes
Tcalandrino
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok so everyone know this is how my setup is currently working with channel guides and VOD. I was able to get a hold of a verizon rep that knew what he was doing and here is what we did. 

1. Activated ONT port over the phone at no charge. 

2. factory reset my old actiontech router

3. plugged my firewall into the ONT with cat6

4. plugged the WAN port of actiontech to lan port on my firewall

5. rebooted the actiontech

6. plugged a computer directly to a LAN port on the actiontec it got a 192.168.x.x address

7. tested loading web pages. 

8. rebooted all STB

9. checked actioin tech router for STB population.

10. checked the VOD loaded

thanks to eveyone that heled here and the fantastic verizon tech would worked on figuring this out with me for an hour. 

Done. 

JSL1081
Enthusiast - Level 1

So did it seem to make a difference that you have 100/100 speeds? We're only doing 75/75.

Thanks,

--jessica

0 Likes
rkovelman1

I know this is old, but I did exactly like you did, but how did you get internet to work through the Fios cable modem?  Did you have to add a route or something on the cable modem?  Or did you bridge something?

0 Likes