ONT Upgrade
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've been a Fios subscriber for over 10 years. Very few problems during this time and issues have been resolved in short order.

Currently I'm running 75/75 for Internet speed. The ONT is a Tellabs 611.

I recently read that the 611 tops out 100/100. So, when the time comes that I decide to jump to higher speed, the ONT will need to be replaced.

What is Verizon installing these days when long time customers upgrade beyond 100/100?

We have all three services (POTS, TV & Internet).

I have our E3200s dually cabled (coax & Ethernet) for redundancy purposes.

Thank you for any insight/information. 🙂

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT Upgrade
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Newer Fios installation uses Alcatel-Lucent I-211M-L as the ONT. This ONT is capable of GPON, gigabit ethernet, 2 POTs, and Coax.

When you order the speed upgrade, I don't think you can waive $99 fee for tech visit though.

@dexman wrote:

Not advisable. This will create a layer 2 loop, which makes your network susceptible to broadcast/multicast flooding.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Newer Fios installation uses Alcatel-Lucent I-211M-L as the ONT. This ONT is capable of GPON, gigabit ethernet, 2 POTs, and Coax.

When you order the speed upgrade, I don't think you can waive $99 fee for tech visit though.

@dexman wrote:

Not advisable. This will create a layer 2 loop, which makes your network susceptible to broadcast/multicast flooding.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi Cang_Household,

Thank you for the reply. We, currently, have three POTS lines, but, one will, likely, be getting disconnected within a few months, so, that shouldn't present a problem if/when the time comes to upgrade.

I am a bit disappointed to read that dual cabling to the E3200s could present a problem. Being able to have two avenues available to connect the 3200 to the G3100 is a definite plus.

On the flip side, when queried, the G3100 shows that only one of the two cables is actually in use. So, for instance, the E3200 in my bedroom is, per the G3100, connected by the Ethernet cable. If I unplug the Ethernet cable, the G3100 will show that the E3200 is then connected via coax.

I suppose that, if push comes to shove, I'll disconnect the coax cables and use a combination of barrel connectors and 75 ohm terminators for the express purpose of keeping the coax around for redundancy purposes on an as needed basis.

0 Likes