ONT to Router Setup for 100/100
rxong
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded to fios service from double play 50/50 to double play 100/100.  TV package is HD preferred with DVR.  The tech came out and upgraded the ONT and back up battery.  He told me that I should be ok with using the existing coax cable to run my tv and internet, but higher speeds would require using ethernet for internet.  He mentioned that they would not be able to run the ethernet between walls to where I currently have my quantum gateway router so I'm keeping everything on coax for now.

My question is; if I were to run CAT6 myself, how do I set up the router to use ethernet for internet and coax for tv?  Do I just run the cat6 line from the ONT to router while keeping the coax set up as is?  Or do I need to remove the coax connection from the router and have the coax run directly to the cable box?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT to Router Setup for 100/100
jonjones1
Legend

@rxong wrote:

I recently upgraded to fios service from double play 50/50 to double play 100/100.  TV package is HD preferred with DVR.  The tech came out and upgraded the ONT and back up battery.  He told me that I should be ok with using the existing coax cable to run my tv and internet, but higher speeds would require using ethernet for internet.  He mentioned that they would not be able to run the ethernet between walls to where I currently have my quantum gateway router so I'm keeping everything on coax for now.

My question is; if I were to run CAT6 myself, how do I set up the router to use ethernet for internet and coax for tv?  Do I just run the cat6 line from the ONT to router while keeping the coax set up as is?  Or do I need to remove the coax connection from the router and have the coax run directly to the cable box?

Thanks in advance.

Run the Ethernet cable from ONT and leave the coaxial where it is.

after you hook up the Ethernet you must call 1-800-Verizon to have them switch you over to Ethernet and they may need to have a truck roll to your home. Just to make sure it's functioning properly.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@rxong wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Run the Ethernet cable from ONT and leave the coaxial where it is.

after you hook up the Ethernet you must call 1-800-Verizon to have them switch you over to Ethernet and they may need to have a truck roll to your home. Just to make sure it's functioning properly.

rxong
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you!  I'll give it a shot.

I checked my speed earlier and it was showing 71mbps/88mbps so it looks like there's some slow down running over coax.

0 Likes