Onlt a customer for a week and had some major problems. Please any avice you can give?
Barbara92
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm sorry, here is my qeustion or two at least:  My router seemed quite slow, while shows  web navigation and speed to be of "adequate speed in their officialy verizon speed  tests"...but those speeds do not actually real life failed certainly does not translate to real world sceneries such as regular lag issues,, severe buffering issues while straight movies off of Netflix   Has anybody else over noticed this, or is it in my head...and does it seem to always been glitched, or down right complicated in  particularly  to navigate?

Now for my main qursiton guys:  I came from Comcast and as terrible as their service was, they didn't have some  pretty decent websites and content for the Xfnity or whatever,  Verizon offers what...TBS, that Eprix Crap, TNT, and Adult Swim?  Cme on.

The thing is Like I said.. ordered the Ultimate Screen HD package along with the other stuffbelieve I have found my channel selection to be very more limited than what wsa implied be the FiOS Salepitches says I can't signed up the Unlimited HD package for ten dollars..Chic I was told I was purchasing in the fitst place.   But the salesman, which including every channel from eve other package on the list and lower tear list as well.

I'm really not on here to plain or moan, just would like some good general feedback, positive or negative is welcome as I just would like an honest answerTHank you for taking the time out to read this post guys.

AS, as weill I do conduct many differnt speed tests myself done various speed tests...(IM not never think about him again.)  The point is, Living in Florida I've really noticed  when I go to a couple different speed tests..They perform below par..Especially the ones in Tampa and aroundI think tried a few south easy northern and northin states and my download plaid tapped out once at  Mbps, with about 30 upload, and it is never so far off with those server..So for the last partAny routerYou;e'ew rhe BEvw one do guysOr is there a good looks of DNS servers that work whey better than these down hereSorry for rambling on so much but Dhabi you for your time guysHope to year from you as soon asThanks boys boys!

0 Likes
Re: Onlt a customer for a week and had some major problems. Please any avice you can give?
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

@Barbara9 wrote:

The thing is Like I said..  ordered the Ultimate Screen HD package along with the other stuffbelieve I have found my channel selection to be very more limited than what wsa implied be the FiOS Salepitches says I can't signed up the Unlimited HD package for ten dollars..Chic I was told I was purchasing in the fitst place.   But the salesman, which including every channel from eve other package on the list and lower tear list as well. 

Not sure what internet package you have.  Regardless, you should only notice speed differences with upload and downloads and not regular web browsing.  It is possible that you have other computer issues is you notice a decline in browser loading.

If you want an alternative to the Verizon Speed Test then you can try this one:

http://www.speedtest.net/

Here's the channel listings.  You can compare packages side-by-side.

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSTV/ChannelLineUp/ChannelLineUp.htm

Re: Onlt a customer for a week and had some major problems. Please any avice you can give?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

internet browsing in general is a night and day difference from cable company's.  most people even report that they are getting faster than what they were offered or pay for

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/FiOS-Users-Getting-More-Than-They-Pay-For-109692

If you're noticing lag and general slow down on websites, then just for testing try a different browser.  

Sometimes it's also the Verizon software that makes it seem a little slower, or any browser add-ons like toolbars.  if you're pc is relatively new it shouldn't see any slow downs due to those issues.     I haven't noticed much in the way of buffering on youtube or netflix.      There is usually SOME buffering, but nothing that is out of control, and sometimes that is due to the traffic going to those websites, moreso than it is your connection.     

So I would first try a different browser.  

download google chrome   www.google.com/chrome

if there is no immediate difference, uninstall all the VZ software except the virus protection (if you signed up for it)  

you don't need that software to browse and surf the net. 

Right now they are slowly building the online TV stuff, so you're right   there library is small, and they only have a handful of channels, that will increase later obviously, but right now there isn't  alot that they offer online.   you still have amazon on demand, itunes on demand, and hulu.com for a lot of online tv viewing.   plus the TBS TNT Adult swim, HBO Go ESPN and Epix. 

I am not too clear on what you mean by your channel packages and stuff, but the ultimate HD is supposed to have all the channels pretty much,  prime, and extreme are all both included in the ultimate, plus some additional channels.  take a look at the channel guide   

National Prime HD/Extreme HD/Ultimate HD (for TV packages sold on or after 1/17/10)

and my favorite dns servers are the genuity ones,    

4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 

that may also help your surfing etc.   

fjo302
Enthusiast - Level 2

My internet is slow too and I can't watch videos because they stop and start and it's just a pain.  Good luck trying to get out of it.  You CAN'T get anyone on the phone ever and they just keep charging your card even after you try to cancel 😞 

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

What number are you guys calling trying to get through. I had to call tech support last night to have them re-initialize one of my STB's (regular reboot just wasn't cutting it). I called 888-553-1555 and got straight in. In fact there wasn't even a wait. They answered immediately. I was on the phone for a total of less than 5 minutes. Granted I probably got lucky and called at the right time for no wait, but I didn't have any problem getting through.

As for the online content. Verizon really doesn't offer any online content. They just make agreements with websites that have online content for their customers to be able to access it. They are making more and more agreements, so it is growing but there are lots of outside sources for online content.

Then for the speed issues. Unfortunately speedtests only tell half the story. They only tell you how fast you can transmit and receive data, once connected. They don't tell you about packet loss, ping (latency), or where the problem is. Additional tests would need to be done. It could be anything from virus/spyware/malware on the computer, Windows issues, hardware problems, all the way up to internet problems. And the internet problems could be on your side, Verizon's side, or on the side of the website you are visiting. Or anywhere in between. First thing I would try is to make sure you run scans with your security software and run a tracert to see if anything jumps out.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I had a particularly nasty virus this weekend, TWO programs that worked well for me was, Http://housecall.trendmicro.com and malwarebytes (downloaded from download.com)

Back up and running.  maybe give those two programs a shot?

0 Likes