Optimizing Win XP on IE8
nedt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello:My question is as fellows

Home network (1) computer  Win 7 needs no optimizing. ?

Do I run Verizon's optimizer for computer (2) a  Win XP,will that speed up the computer,with out

changeling network  Network also has (2) blu-ray players streaming

I think ask before clicking ok

All help is very much appreciated

nedt

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Optimizing Win XP on IE8
nedt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi

Yes it was thanks

Sorry

nedt

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Windows 7 does not need tuning for DSL connections. For Fiber-based connections or Cable connections, once you hit a certain speed point maybe you have to adjust some settings on Windows 7, but even that should not need tuning. Windows XP out of the box may require some slight tuning, but it shouldn't need much and it's mostly the TCP Receive Window that would need adjusting. If you can provide a speed test while the connection is not being used from a computer connected via Ethernet, along with mention of what speed package you are paying for that would help us out.

nedt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi smith661:

I tried to run speed test an at this point in time the Win XP computer will not start speedtest.

I have run that same test before on this computer

Well I am paying for speed of 3to7  and on win7 computer run 5884kbps dl.861kbps ul

thanks

nedt

nedt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi again smith6612        

After sending earlier reply

I went  to Vz In Home Agent from there I was able to speed test that link

Results are DL. 0.7mbps, Up. 0.2mbps useing IE8

I also clicked check/optimize IE speed and only time will tell us if it's (better or same)

Thanks  again for your time/help

nedt

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK. The Windows 7 machine is running pretty close to what the speeds tend to be for the 7.1Mbps provisioning, even though it isn't quite there so the line may be out of sync. We'll get to that later. Let's focus on the Windows XP machine and get that running where it should be.

Visit http://web100.rit.edu:7123/ and perform the Test shown there. Once the test completes, provide the Information shown in the "More Details" section of the test along with the results you obtain in the main window. The test requires Java, however it will allow me to pick up on some basic reasons as to why the XP machine isn't performing nicely and also see what speed it's getting from a more robust test.

nedt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi smith6612

On the Xp computer the box  for scanning does not open

computer speed reel slow

nedt

nedt
Enthusiast - Level 3

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I sent you a message on how to post up the results from those Java-based speed tests I was talking about, now that you have Java working on your PC. Was the above post an attempt to post them up or no?

0 Likes
nedt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi

Yes it was thanks

Sorry

nedt