Port forwarding not working
randyh2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I need to access my home computer via Remote Desktop. I have done everything the user manual for my router tells me to do. I even tried making it the DMZ host and turning off the Windows firewall completely.  I know the port is correct and so is the protocol.  Still no luck.  

I have FIOS internet.  

Anyone?

Thanks

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Port forwarding not working
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ while Remote Desktop is enabled and see if Port 3389 is open. If it is not, there is a configuration issue somewhere. If the port is open, make sure you are trying to connect to your PC using either a Dynamic DNS address, OR your Public WAN Address.

View solution in original post

randyh2
Enthusiast - Level 2

My router is the 9100 EM model

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ while Remote Desktop is enabled and see if Port 3389 is open. If it is not, there is a configuration issue somewhere. If the port is open, make sure you are trying to connect to your PC using either a Dynamic DNS address, OR your Public WAN Address.

randyh2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for that link, it was very helpful!  It must be a config issue because only when I set the machine to be the DMZ host does it show being open.  But even then, RDP tells me it can't connect to the computer even though I can connect to it from any other host inside the network.  As far as configuration goes, I have done it exactly as specifiied in other posts (trying both the internal IP address and the host name, with TCPAny-->3389) and the port shows as closed.  

If I make the machine the DMZ host (which I don't want to do as an ongoing solution) the port shows open but RDP doesn't work using the external IP address it suggests that something else is blocking it.  Could the FIOS service itself be doing it?  I don't want to run a server (I use the cloud for that), I just need to access my home machine from the office.  

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

randyh2
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I spoke too soon - it IS working now and apparently it was the TCPAny --> 3389 that did the trick.  That seems extremely counter intuitive but as long as it works I am happy!

Thanks for your help!!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem! Glad to hear it's now working!